Trying to Connect 2 Computers using Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a question,
I have 2 computers which have the same 10/100mbps ethernet port, I would like to connect both these computers and set up a file sharing between them. I would like to know is it possible and how do I do it.

Yes it is possible. To do this, you would need a "cross-over" cable (basically an ethernet cable with a couple wires crossed over).

Of course, you still need to configure some network settings. Go here for more info.

Share Internet Connection - Cross Over the Solution?

I have 2 computers 1 Desktop (PII 400) and 1 Laptop (PIII 1.13) that i wish to share files and internet connection with .

The Problem:
=========
My ISP provides internet over LAN so already have an NIC in use.

I know that i can add an extra LAN card on my Desktop and network it via a crossover cable. My question is , how do i share the internet connection between these PC's ?

I do not have VPI , VCI & Encapsulation settings so a router is clearly of no use to me . all i have is a default gateway , subnet mask , perferred and alternate DNS including an ip given to me by my ISP . I have a very basic knowledge of computers and do no know anything about networking . HELP!!!

Re:

Hi,
You using quite old computers and I am not sure what OS you will be operating, I am using Win XP, so anyway go to your network setups and try to find "Set up a home or small office network" from there I think you can create a file sharing and use internet on both computers.
Best of Luck

I have a desktop and a laptop, we are using dsl with a 5 port hub on them, my husband wants to connect them so we can play a game against each other how do we do this? we are both using windows xp professional

Install another pci lan card in your main computer and share everything using cross over cable as mentioned above by Kevin 16. Or buy an 'ethernet to usb port' adapter to free up your existing ethernet port.

see this topic; you will be much happier with a router than a hub.

once the topology is right, then it's a File/Print Sharing setup issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back