Trying to connect a DVD writer via old ExtHDD enclosure; not working

BlackScarlet

Hello,
My DVD burner gave up the ghost on me and I dug around and found in the closet:
1. an old PATA external HD enclosure
2. an old PATA DVD drive.
Since my mobo is all SATA now, I can't connect the DVD drive, so I thought I could connect it through the USB external enclosure. I plugged it in and powered it up but it just bootloops, and windows says the Unknown Device has encountered a problem. I thought perhaps the problem is that it was trying to install the driver for a hard drive, not a DVD drive, I uninstalled whatever driver wasn't working properly, then downloaded the drivers for the DVD drive, and tried to manually install those with the wizard. However, it would not install, saying that it already had up-to-date drivers.
So, at this point, I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it. Does anybody know, can I rig up this DVD burner this way or is it a fundamentally flawed approach?
See pictures:
https://s28.postimg.org/kxvytnw4t/IMG_20170209_213159.jpg
https://s28.postimg.org/ms8tbej59/IMG_20170209_214151.jpg
Thanks!

Last edited:
Throw it away and buy a SATA drive. Years ago my first CD burner cost a fortune. This sort of stuff is now very cheap and far more efficient. Check out the prices.

Yeah, you just have to cruise Newegg's emails and wait for a sale. The SATA DVD drives can be had for about $15.00, (give or take a buck), and anything from free to $2.00 Shipping.

(I'll give you a hint, you're going to pay 15 bucks. If the drive is on sale for 13, you'll likely get tagged for 2 dollar shipping. Although I do think think remember getting a pair for $26 or $28, at one time or another

This way, the drive plugs directly into your board and mounts in the case, and you don't have junk all over your desk.. It matters not whether or not you're running the SATA ports as SATA or IDE. You plug the drive in, and you're good to go.

Make sure you have a SATA cable for the new drive, as anything you get for the $15.00 price, will be a "bare drive", without cables of any kind.

The Asus DVD drives are my recent favorites, but in truth, who the hell knows who's building them. LG is tragic to do business with, on general principles.

EDIT: Check the burn speeds on your PATA burner. They're liable to be as low as 4X for a DVD, while anything you buy today will be 16X, or more.

Last edited:
Back