Trying to find peace of mind before I make the final moves :) (upgrade...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

My current system spec:

Processor: AMD64 3500+ 2.2ghz
RAM: 1gb RAM pc3200
Board: Abit AV8-3rd Eye (Socket 939)
GFX card: NVIDIA 6800GT 256mb

After much research I want to upgrade to:

Processor: Q6600 Quad core 2.4ghz
RAM: 2gb OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400
Board: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
GFX: 8800GTS 640mb

My budget is around 500 - 600 £ (1000-1200$)

Primary reasons for upgrading are because I wish to do a LOT of Video editing in AE and 3d work (mostly in 3dsmax). I also want to be able to run the latest games ie. crysis/gears of war pc without problems

Here are the questions I'd like to ask before I do this:

1) How much of a performance increase will I see in After effects rendering times? From my understanding the quad core CPU will be capable of rendering 4 frames at once. Is it worth investing in 4gbs of RAM or will 2gbs be enough. I see 32bit OS can only use up to 3gbs effectively anyway

2) Could you suggest any other motherboards or is the one I have selected fine? I am not clear about the benefits I'd see in (for example) Asus Striker Extreme board i have been looking at

3) Is 7900GS 512mb a better option than 8800GTS 640mb? I'd like to be more confident in making a decision here. I believe the 8800gts appears to be the best value for money card available right now, but if I will be able to run games like Crysis and other existing ones say on par with the xbox 360 console with 7900GS then I'd rather get that seeing it is half the price

4) I currently have a 400W PSU, will I need to look at higher Watt PSUs to support the new bits and pieces?

Thanks a lot for any help :) I hope you can answer some questions as soon as possible because I'm ready to start buying right away

Try not to make two threads with the same problem. Just messes things up. Also, making your own thread is better than hijacking another thread. Look in your other thread for my reply. Howard, are you around? Got some work for you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back