Trying to install XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

som1dies2nite

I have 2 drives, 1 for windows and the other for backup stuff. My problem is when I go to install xp "clean", it has primary drive labeled as D: and my second drive labeled as c:. When they are set as primary and secondary on the jumper.

If they are SATA drives (which I suspect they aren't if you're playing with the jumpers), make sure the drive you want as "Primary" in the first SATA port, and the drive you want as "Secondary" in the following SATA port.

Boot into the BIOS and see if you can alter which one you want to be "Primary"/"Secondary".

Have you already installed XP on the drive you want to use as storage?

If it comes down to it, just disconnect the drive you want to use as "Secondary", your PC should then only detect the drive you want as your "Primary" drive. Install XP, and then just reattach the "Secondary" drive and do what you care to with it.

There not sata drives and there set for primary & secondary. I have installed xp on the PM drive and then connect the 2nd that has been formatted and it will say OS not found. Can anyone help? I have hiren 9.4 boot cd to use.

During Xp install there are many writes to the registry
Therefore, if your Xp was installed thinking it was D drive, there will be many D drive entries.

You are best to remove the secondary drive (presently the backup drive)
And backup your main drive fully
Then set it for Cable Select
Then install Windows Xp (clean) ie format and partition first)

Once Windows is finally installed it will be C drive
From there you can re-install the other drive (also jumpered as CS)
Which will make the backup drive labelled D

Actually yes

You can go to Start--> Control Panel--> Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Disk Management
(not writing that again!)

And then make drive C to say drive letter E
Then make drive letter D to C (as C is now available)
Then make drive E to D

*But*

You may make your drive non-bootable (highly likely) of which you will need to run a repair.

It's a bit messy, but the answer is Yes (in theory :) )

That wont work b/c under disk management it correct but not correct in the xp install screen. My 50gb is my c drive and 100gb is my d drive but in the install screen it has my c drive as 100gb and d drive as 50gb and they are set correct on the jumpers. I have tried install on the c drive only then connect the d drive but I get OS not found afterwards...

I have installed xp on the PM drive and then connect the 2nd that has been formatted and it will say OS not found. Can anyone help

It must be the place you have connected it to

So you're saying you plug in the C drive (to the correct connection on the M/b) and you leave D drive out. And it installs no problem.
But when you put D drive back in, for some reason your computer tries to boot off it, and fails.
It must be the location of the cable (or C and D must be both CS; and C must be in the first ATA connector)

It's mind boggling, and there's only 2 drives ! (maybe pull the CD/DVD out too, just in case)

Please do that:
CS
C only
CD/DVD out
Correct 1st ATA on M/b
Confirm Boot - ok
Put D back in (CS ofcourse)
Confirm boot ok (this is where you say, it's not)

If you follow Kimsland's suggestions, it will work... if not the second suggestion, then the first... However, I would use Master and Slave rather than two cable selects... which have more trouble when a partial install is in play.

I fixed the problem..
1st I did a a memory & system test and it all passed.
So I decide to move my dvd burner to primary master and both HDD to the 2nd IDE cable and no problems at all... and when moved back to the 1st IDE connection I get the same problem and I dont get the NTLDR is missing either.. so I assume something is wrong with the board. Thanks for ya's help.

Could it not be the first EIDE cable is defective... or that it is not an 80 conductor, 40 connector cable?
How did you jumper the two HDD drives? Did you change the jumpers when you moved them back? Did you try setting the jumpers to master and slave, or are both Cable select?

No I left it alone...
HDD 1 is the c drive set to master & Hdd 2 is my d drive set to secondary.
I thought it could be the cable but I have already switch them to new ones and I still had the problem. So i think its the board.

So you have tried CS as well?

Also I have had faulty CD/DVD dives cause this. So it still may be a drive error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back