TechSpot

Trying to put a heatsink on a CPU...

By Rob2931
May 3, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is my motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128017

Using a Conroe 2.66 dual core processor.

The problem is that there is this orange cylinder sticking out of the motherboard right next to where a heatsink must be screwed onto the board, which gets in the way when i try apply cube-shaped heatsinks. Has anyone encountered this/know what fans to use? Thanks
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

3. Rob2931

Rob2931 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 44

4. CCT

Well, could you now specify what exact 'cube shaped' heatsinks you have tried?

:)
  5. Rob2931

I've gone through an AVC, not sure the exact model, and a Cooler Master, not sure the model either as the boxes don't say and I picked them up at PC stores and then returned them. They were the type that hook onto an X shaped plate under the motherboard, then come down over the top of the processor. The problem is that since they are square shaped, if this was the processor, [], there is a little spike on the motherboard here - []. and the square heatsink bumps into that .

They both looked like this, except in 92mm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835101003
  6. CCT

Just Google for 'GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 cpu cooling' and BOOM! You hit 2 coolers that fit right off the bat! (plus a great review of that mobo with a 4 core cpu and cooler).

:)
  7. Rob2931

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.