Trying to revive a thrown away Dell optiplex gx260

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfrompa

I actually found this computer thrown away, with working psu (tested in my other machine), as well as 512 of ram and 40gb hard drive with windows xp and office. Although as of now I cannot get the pc to boot. The psu stays quiet and cpu fan stays off. I removed all cards and tried using just 1 ram slot. The light inside remains yellow, as well as the l.e.d on the power button. I would like to get this computer running if possible (i would of course clear the hard drive for ethical reasons and likely install linux) but does anyone have any ideas? I emailed Dell as well but I have never had much luck with them. I am able to take pics if it might help or provide more. If nothing else I will sell the parts.

so do you think I should not waste my time with it? I checked the caps and none are blown but honestly I don't know alot to check on mobos and nothing on cpus

there's loads of things that can go wrong with a mobo so you could either find one with the same socket that this one has (so your cpu will fit) and if it's not really going to be your main pc you don't need to splash out on it ;) but it's up to you really, if you want to put a little bit of money into it

Well, perhaps I'll just spring for a cheap mobo (and cpu if needed) and sell it. I know people who wouldn't care too much about high storage or gaming, so if I can get it to work it should be fine. Or maybe I would get more money by selling individual parts?

it depends on what the parts are,most people want to buy fairly new and up to date parts so if it's got old bits inside it you might be better off buying a new mobo and selling it as a whole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back