trying to set up file sharing between 2000 & xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have, mainly thanks to this wonderful forum's jobeard managed to set-up my new wireless connection to the internet, and set up my adsl modem/router

i just cant get my head around setting up filesharing between the 2 pc's

any help or how-to's would be much appreciated

thanks luke

this one is easy go to each computer click on the hard drive or folder u want to share and share it and mark to let other users change it. If u are trying to share the C: it will take a bit more than this.

post back

good luck

It also makes it easy to have both PCs on the same workgroup name. And then give each PC an easy to type and remember name. Right click My Computer and choose Properties. Then Computer Name tab.
From here you can set the workgroup name and computer name for each PC.
Then share any folder you like, with the right-click menu of the folder.

Next, when a folder is successfully shared, you can type (on the opposite PC), Start-Run and then \\pcname\sharename. Or use the Network Neighborhood.

Should it get any more complex then that, I'm sure there are many who can set it strait around here!

erm.. ok

i have set firewalls to allow incoming connections, have put both computers in the samr workgroup but they just dont want to see each other, i tried using the wizard on the xp set-up disk as it said any computer not running windows xp would require a network set-up disk, or use the perform additional tasks option on the xp install disk. the network set-up disk wont open on the 2000 computer as it appears not to be formatted.

is there anyways to write a network setup disk to a usb removable drive instead of a floppy?

No need for the network setup disk at all.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is still the firewalls causing the blockage.

Can you click Start-Run and cmd.
Then in command line type ping computername where computername is what you named your pc. It should come back with 4 lines of "reply from...". If it doesn't, or gives errors or times out, then you either typed the computer name wrong, or they are not on the same network, or firewalls blocking them.

Tells us what ping says, and tells us what is the IP address of each PC.

tried that and no luck

ok i tried to set-up the ping and it errored, something about a MSDOS 16bit subsystem?

pingproblem5mp.jpg

thats a new one to me, not too sure of the soloution, is there anywhere on the router i should enable options?

router IP 192.168.1.1
(d-link DSL-G604T, wireless router and modem)

paul IP 192.168.1.2
(this is running windows 2000, connects via lan cable)

LUKE01 IP 192.168.1.3
(this is running xp home sp2, connects via usb wireless adaptor)

Wow. Your "NTVDM" error is something in and of itself, not related to your networking, but could possibly be an issue. Search this forum for that error, it's been discussed before, and search google.

The IPs are all right.

Go on each PC and try to Ping the other. That is, also try using the other PC to ping this one with the error.

If you go Into My Network Places on the XP machine, and click, I think, entire network. Does it ever find the other one in the workgroup?
Look through your firewall's "blocked" list and post here if anything has a block on it. And make sure the Windows firewall is off (xp), since you are using another one.

Don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of this. But try to fix that NTVDM error first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back