Trying to setup a RAID 1 array between two non-system disks. Crashes to POST

By jasonw0w
Dec 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all,

I just bought two of these Samsung HD204UI drives and I wanted them to contain my miscellaneous files and documents, music, and videos. I have my system partition set up on a Segate Barracuda 300GB SATA drive.

My mobo is an ASUS P5E. I can successfully set the bios to enable the controller and from within the controller I can successfully see all three drives and successfully create an array with the two larger drives.

My problem comes when I boot windows after this. I am running win 7 professional (or business whatever it's called) and when the little glowing balls of light that comprise the logo start to rotate around each other my system crashes back to POST. No BSOD no error code. Just a black screen followed by POST. Windows then trys to repair itself, unsuccessfully, and eventually goes back to POST after failing the repair.

I removed the array and set the SATA back to enhanced IDE and it works again. I also tried the one system drive without the other two drives even connected, with the bios setting set to RAID and it also crashed.

I'm guessing there's some conflict between my mobo's raid controller and my windows install. Any thoughts?

EDIT: My windows 7 is 64 bit BTW.