TS 3.0 redesign bug reports

Julio Franco

Staff member
Beloved TechSpotters, please help us troubleshoot the issues you are finding with our redesign.

Note there are some known bugs that we are fixing soon (e.g. the social widget in news pages on certain browsers), but there are others, like the comments font being too big or hard to read that we've been unable to replicate thus far.

Please post your findings in this thread dedicated to the redesign bug fixes.

A screenshot of the issue, OS and browser versions are a must to help us narrow things down.

Thank you!

OS X 10.9.2, Safari 7.0.2
wHA8U6H.png

If the mouse cursor hits that blue triangle, the menu disappears. Somewhat of a problem because it is directly below where the mouse cursor is at to invoke the menu. So if you move down to click on one of the items, the menu goes away and you have to go back up to the top and then curve your cursor track to avoid the blue triangle.

What is the blue triangle for? I don't see it at all on my end. Everything else looks the same, I just don't have the triangle.

You guys may already know this. But, there is no way to login while using the mobile website. The only way I was able to do so was navigating through the comment section on articles. I'm not sure if this ever was a feature in the last version.

Hi,

I just wanted to report that the site is not usable on my Lumia 920. When you visit the site, the page loads, and then immediately redirects to "ieframe.dll/syntax.htm". This happens whether I set my site preference to mobile or desktop.

Please fix... so I can get my mobile Techspot fix!

What is the blue triangle for? I don't see it at all on my end. Everything else looks the same, I just don't have the triangle.
It is something with AdChoices that bled-through from the ad below it (I whitelisted this site).

Only appears in some ads.

Last edited:
Alerts pulldown menu (same one screenshotted in post #2 by me), now flashes for an instant when I hover over it, then takes a full second to appear again (for good this time).
Windows 7 64bit, Chrome Version 33.0.1750.154 m

Also, did you have to click the link in the past alerts pull down menu? or could you just click the rectangle that specific alert was in? I clicked and nothing happened, had to click the link to go, makes sense, but I don't think I would have missed clicking on the link if we had to click on the link before the recent changes...

When I tried following a link of a thread to techspot via Ipod touch 5th gen(safari), I got a message saying "Too many redirects occured" and it was unable to load.(the URL was a valid thread, tried later on desktop)

Furthermore with the alert pulldown, on its initial flash it wipes out the alert counter, and I was only able to see 3/5 alerts, even after the pulldown reappeared. (this time OS X 10.9.2, Safari 7.0.2)

Front page drop-downs when passing mouse over 'trending, review, etc etc was working fine when first seen (yesterday). Today not working at all. The drop-downs appear empty mid-grey colour. This is firefox 27.01. Same on IE11. After some minutes the screen problem disappears, but reappears again at next startup. Looks like a buffering problem.

Attachments

• Clip00031.gif
    Clip00031.gif
    122.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You guys may already know this. But, there is no way to login while using the mobile website. The only way I was able to do so was navigating through the comment section on articles. I'm not sure if this ever was a feature in the last version.
If you're talking about this link http://m.techspot.com/
I used it to get on TS using my iPhone & had no problem logging in. Good luck. :)

I have an odd error report, for reference I am using google chrome as the browser.

Whenever (This has happened constantly for me at least since yesterday) I try to make a hyperlink with some text, I highlight the text I want to hyperlink and click the link button. Well every time I do that, it decides to highlight every bit of text I have in the paragraph unless its separated by another line.

Don't know why, it just keeps happening, the workaround like I said was just adding another blank line in between, adding the link, then deleting the blank space.

I don't know if this is my browser or the new software but, the emoticons are posting what seems like a half line above the intended text. This is forcing an extra skip line into a message. See this thread: https://www.techspot.com/community/...ask-new-ceo-brendan-eich-to-step-down.201202/ @ post #25. (Only one of the skip lines is intended.

(I think you'd better read the 4 preceding posts as well. I will help you make sense of that one)....:D <(It just did it again, skipped a line because of the emoticon).

I don't know if this is my browser or the new software but, the emoticons are posting what seems like a half line above the intended text. This is forcing an extra skip line into a message. See this thread: https://www.techspot.com/community/...ask-new-ceo-brendan-eich-to-step-down.201202/ @ post #25. (Only one of the skip lines is intended.

(I think you'd better read the 4 preceding posts as well. I will help you make sense of that one)....:D <(It just did it again, skipped a line because of the emoticon).
I've noticed the same thing.

techspot issue.png OS: Windows 7-64 bit
Browser: Latest version of Chrome
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080
When clicking on forum threads with unread comments the first unread comment goes under the Trending, Reviews, Features etc bar, and you have to scroll up to see the full comment, not a huge issue but very annoying. Note: Doesn't occur when the thread is new and with comments, just when you have read the original post or the post and some of the comments.

Attachments

• techspot what it should be.png
    techspot what it should be.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi @Julio Franco , remember the bug on the social script that overlaps the posts and edit box? It's there, and it seems to replicate every time I hit the comment instead of going to the news, it happened 2 times in a row on different posts. I'm using Firefox 28.0 and Windows 8.1.

This is not really a bug report, but more of some feedback. I think the animations on the social media buttons on the bottom of the page under "Follow TechSpot" have to go. Yes they look cool, but it feels out of place on a more "serious" (and I use this lightly xD) site such as TS. They dont bother me, but I just feel like it isnt necessary. Just my 2 cents.

I think the animations on the social media buttons on the bottom of the page under "Follow TechSpot" have to go.
Their purpose is just to show that the icon has the focus. I've never seen that 'twist' animation before, and maybe something more familiar might be better, such as a slight highlighting, size change or change of colour ?

Their purpose is just to show that the icon has the focus. I've never seen that 'twist' animation before, and maybe something more familiar might be better, such as a slight highlighting, size change or change of colour ?
Yeah definitely something different.

Back