TSA now starts its security check of passengers before they arrive at the airport

Shawn Knight

Staff member

tsa transporation security administration

Newly released documents reveal the Transportation Security Administration is preparing to broaden its pre-screening process for airline travelers. The agency already cross-references flight manifests with a terror watch list but according to the New York Times, the TSA can now search a number of government and private databases before you even arrive at the airport – a level of pre-screening that was previously only used for those flying into the US.

The new screening process is outlined in a TSA document although full details still remain unknown. What we do know is that the agency can access a number of records about a person including information like car registration, employment information, tax identification number, past travel itineraries, property records, physical characteristics and intelligence and law enforcement information.

The TSA says the measures will help streamline the security procedures for passengers that pose little risk and obvious to help identify higher-risk passengers. It’s much more in-depth than the current background check process known as Secure Flight. Under the Secure Flight check, the name, gender and birth date of passengers are checked against a terror watch list.

Naturally, several privacy groups are against the TSA’s widening reach over airline passengers. Identity Project consultant Edward Hasbrouck said the default screening will be the highest, most intrusive level of search and anything less will be approved only when additional details are provided to lower the risk level.

How do you feel about beefed up airport security in general? Do you feel safer traveling now than pre-911?

Permalink to story.

Israel starts watching you the minute you step foot onto the airport parking lot. By the time you reach check in, they have profiled you enough to know if they should pull you out of line or not.

If this is done, it should only be done to streamline the current processes as it is. Its practically just a background check. Im not willing to give up liberty but honestly I already expect airlines to know everything about me as it is at this point.

Marital law?

As long as it keeps people safe, I am fine with it.

Just have a hausfrau in every home. Much easier! Everyone is safe!

Those who are willing to give up liberty in place of security deserve neither.

Women start watching you the minute you step foot outside the front door. By the time you reach home again, they have profiled you enough to know if they should put you back in line or not.

This is an excellent point and the reason I support full-on marital law over this half-baked living together nonsense.

If this is done, it should only be done to streamline the current processes. As it is, its practically just a background check. I'm not willing to give up liberty but honestly I already expect my wife to know everything about me as it is at this point.

Marital Law = Martial Law

Those who are willing to give up liberty in place of security deserve neither.
That's ridiculous. In this day & age you have to be prepared to give up a bit of liberty for security. Ben Franklin didn't live in today's times so his quote is not always relevant. If you hadn't noticed, today's times have changed just a bit from his time.

That's ridiculous.
That phrase is not ridiculous. It was taken out of context when implemented here. Even during that time people had to give up their liberties while not at home so others could maintain their security when at home. The context of that phrase is the ability to protect yourself while at home.

Seems like a good move. Technology is making life tough for criminals and terrorists while average folks - with their big screen TVs and self-driving cars - are loving life. It's a good time to be alive!

Back