TSMC has started shipping mobile processors to Apple

By Shawn Knight
Jul 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. We've been hearing for a few years now that Apple has wanted to decrease its dependence on Samsung's manufacturing arm. The Cupertino-based company finally acted on those plans a year ago when it signed a chip deal with Taiwan Semiconductor...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,378

Apple and Samsung have been seen as the snake swallowing its own tail, seemingly unbreakable, with all the ongoing suits counteracted by signed contracts between the two, probably the craziest charade of law versus technology ever.

If they ever get to sign the divorce papers, that'll be a monumental relief for free competition at long last.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

"Less money spent on component production means more can be put into other areas, returned to investors, etc."
    But the savings will never passed on to the consumer who are obviously the ones who keeps those schmucks in business.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Apple's operating systems for their computers are free now, they were not free in the past (outside of the one that shipped with the computer).
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I never knew that but that's not important, what is important does MS know and if they do I hope it's a case of monkey see, monkey do.(y)
  6. Geforcepat

Geforcepat TS Booster Posts: 141   +15

20nm GPU'S TSMC...
  7. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Who cares. Apple sucks
  8. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Everyone has their own preference. Even thought I like Apple products, I don't go up to my buddies who like Android and flip them off for their liking.
  9. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 798   +217

Won't happen since Apple makes their money on hardware so can afford to give software away, MS makes their money primarily on software so giving it away wouldn't work. Also MS charges for their full version upgrade with free service packs in between while Apple used to charge for, what amounted to, service packs which MS would give for free, they weren't completely comparable to begin with.
  10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I don't really disagree with anything you said. But, you are creating a standard of OS releases based off MS's release cycle, and XP has an incredibly long one compared to any OS ever. So I think that is a disingenuous comparison. When Apple was charging for a point release there were still significant changes to the OS. So it wasn't like Apple was charging you for petty stuff while MS was giving away free updates. They are completely different operating systems and I think the comparison you made isn't valid.
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I think we have come to an era where we don't need a new OS every two years. The fact that we have so many OS's is only proving to be distracting in the end.

This distraction is probably the number one downside to Linux.