Turkish government blocks Tor in crackdown against VPN users

William Gayde

Staff

The Turkish government, notorious for its strict internet policy, has just blocked the popular anonymity network known as Tor. This comes two months after they hastily blocked numerous cloud storage sites in an attempt to halt the spread of leaked emails. Internet Freedom watchdog Turkey Blocks described the move as compliance by internet providers with a government order to block the most popular VPN services.

The Onion Router, Tor for short, is a free and widely used anonymity service. It works by connecting users through numerous separate locations around the world. These repeated hops are analogous to the multiple layers of an onion and make the user's origin harder to track. Tor is often used by journalists, activists, and others wanting to circumvent internet censorship. It is popular in China and the Middle East where social media and file sharing sites are typically blocked.

According to the Turkey Blocks report, the Turkish Government has been increasingly using internet censorship as a punishment and a means to control its citizens. There are numerous cases of social media sites becoming unavailable during protests or political unrest. Tor has always been a popular way to avoid these restrictions but those in control are clearly taking notice.

Internet censorship is an eternal cat and mouse game. As soon as one website or VPN service is blocked, another will undoubtedly take its place. Tor stats are showing usage for the network has more than tripled in the weeks since censorship increased. While most default settings in Tor will not work anymore, tech savvy users will still be able to connect using more advanced methods.

Permalink to story.

When I lived in China, that was the first time I was subject to censored internet. But even then there were ways around it. People had "freedom sticks" and other types of VPN.

It's amazing to me that governments even bother to try to censor information anymore.

On a side note: that's how we need to beat North Korea. We need to airdrop smartphones or tablets to the people that have unlimited internet access - possibly via satellite. Make it so their government can't stop their access to truth and information. A dose of capitalism will completely upend that place.
Freedom can't be stopped.

For the longest time, dictators understood that the rule to govern was "keep them stupid & give them time for sex" and that was enough to maintain control, but with the growth of the internet and wider spread of knowledge & information, blocking the internet is their only resort. Of course, as mentioned and they are finding out, trying it and being successful at it are two very different animals!

When I lived in China, that was the first time I was subject to censored internet. But even then there were ways around it. People had "freedom sticks" and other types of VPN.

It's amazing to me that governments even bother to try to censor information anymore.

On a side note: that's how we need to beat North Korea. We need to airdrop smartphones or tablets to the people that have unlimited internet access - possibly via satellite. Make it so their government can't stop their access to truth and information. A dose of capitalism will completely upend that place.
Neither can extinction.

I honestly doubt that would work.

At best, the citizens of the DPRK would right it off as US propaganda and ignore or destroy the devices. At worst, the would simply imprison or kill those who believed the information.

Tor is compromised by the US and others. We have plenty of choice ... by whom we will be snooped by. We are free to be snooped. By the way Tor is not a VPN

Back