Turn Computer On, then turns off, then on. Repeats cycle.

RTK12

Background: The desktop is about 14 years old. I look at old files from time to time and it has worked fine (but very slow) up until the other day. I can get into BIOS, which I reset to the default, but not into safe mode.

When I turn the computer on it starts loading as usual. The Windows logo comes up then it goes into a black screen while it loads. After about a minute, when it should start populating the icons it appears to shut off and then immediately turn on again and repeats this cycle over and over. Any ideas what it could be?

I tested the power supply with the test switch and it appeared to work. Is there anything else it could be? If so how to I solve the problem?

14 years old... Power supply test switches only tell you that the power supply is plugged in. Is it also 14 years old? Anything can be bad... Are you running XP?

I do not know if it's XP or not. The computer was purchased in 2000, 2001 or 2002. It was working fine (except very slow) up until recently. What might be the most likely problem(s)?

I checked the capacitors and they all look ok. When the problem started I noticed the power supply fan was running slow upon start up. I cleaned off the dust and now it's moving faster. It seems like there's not enough power to fully boot it into Windows but this is only my guess as someone who knows almost nothing about how a computer works. Any other ideas?

The problem is I have files in this old computer that I would like to have. Is there any easy way of retrieving them?

You can use a USB flash drive, or just pull the hard drive out of the old computer and use an external USB hard drive enclosure to connect the old hard drive to the new computer to transfer the precious files to...

With a USB flash drive don't I have to get into Windows? If not how do I transfer the files to the flash drive?

When using a flash drive you have to be able to get into Windows. It might be wise to get help from someone that knows computers close to your location

I checked the capacitors and they all look ok. When the problem started I noticed the power supply fan was running slow upon start up. I cleaned off the dust and now it's moving faster. It seems like there's not enough power to fully boot it into Windows but this is only my guess as someone who knows almost nothing about how a computer works. Any other ideas?

I would say you answered your own thread here. Tmagic is right. Replace the power supply. See if a friend or some has a old working PS. This way you can test and see if this solves your problem. Or have a friend who knows about computers do this for you.

There is a way to test for a dead CPU and your system is not showing the symptoms of it. It is showing the symptom of a dying motherboard though.
You have tried everything else and your motherboard is the only thing left...
but there is 1 thing left to try. remove the hard disc. boot the machine and if you get to BIOS then its the hard disc. if it repeats the same cycle then you know for sure the motherboard is the issue

Back