Turn off AVG 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

Hi,

I am running XPHome with AVG8 (free version) on an older PC.

I just deleted a lot of old programs that I no longer need on that computer, and so I want to run various cleaning programs to restore optimal function with the new software configuration. But most of these programs require you to disable AV software first, and I can't shut the MF $#@$!#$ avgrsx.exe resident shield off, even through I have disabled it in every possible way in the program settings and in msconfig. I can end all other AVG processes, but that one refuses to stop or not load on restart regardless of the fact that the UI lists the resident shield as disabled.

I looked around and this was apparently a big issue with the release of AVG 8 last year, but there were no solutions in any of the posts on various sites that I could find. I am hoping that 8 months later someone knows of a way to to shut this mothertrucker off???

Please help me before I lose control and take a 2x4 to the whole thing...:mad:

Thanks for the advice. :wave:

WTF was AVG thinking? They used to be the AV recommendation from Techspot. They were on top of the world! ;)

How did they go so wrong? :confused:

Thanks kimsland.

Any reason why you prefer Avira to Avast (the 8 steps page suggests either one), or are they pretty much equally good?

Also, I have been using ZA since it was recommended to me here a while back, but I have heard a lot of complaints about it interfering with other security software. Do you recommend switching to another brand of firewall at the same time? If so, is there a particular combination of AV/FW that cooperates better than others?

Sorry for all the questions :eek: but I prefer to do it right once than wrong 3 different ways if at all possible...

Edit: OK, while I am asking questions, I might as well ask what the best antispyware programs du jour are too? I currently run Spybot and Ad-Aware (although AAW 2008 still because 2009 caused some problems when I tried to install) at least a couple times a week. Are they now obsolete as well, or am I pretty well covered with those two still?

Thanks. :D

I personally find Avira to be slightly better than Avast (obviously everything I write is in my opinion, in case other support members reply)
Avira is also on the top of many recent reviews
I think Avast! is just a good alternative, but normally Avira is the way to go :rolleyes:

Regarding horrible Zone Alarm ;)
Many times ZA has faulted with some issue in the past, I think they may have it right now (but I highly doubt it)
The track record of ZA is usually at one stage (who knows when) all your Internet will go offline, and you will be stuck trying to get the fix online, my opinion (as obviously always) uninstall it

So what to use...?

Try Windows firewall for a few days! (here we go with the not required support replies)
Believe it or not, most (most) of the world use Windows firewall
Windows firewall will stop all attacks into your computer (that's right all, well at least all known to every firewall company as well)
But... You must have all Windows Updates completed in full (This includes Service Packs too)

If you just must have a 3rd party firewall :(
Then use Comodo

Wow. Let me pinch myself. Did a tech support post just recommend a Windows default program???? Now I have seen it all. :)

I will use the old computer as a guinea pig and try Comodo. Years of bad Microsoft memories make it virtually impossible to trust them to protect me. Sad, but they did do it to themselves. :blackeye:

Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate it, and I shall now allow you to return to your regularly scheduled programming. :approve:

Thanks

I stand by all I've said :)
This is really after many years of experience, and acquired knowledge

Safe surfing is not done by having a 3rd party firewall
It is done by changing old habits or becoming better at surfing the net

Good luck :grinthumb

changing old habits

Yeah, we don't do that here in the U.S. of A. Didn't you get the memo? Self-improvement is not only un-American, it's downright unconstitutional! :haha:

We just wait for version 2.0 of whatever program is in question and let it do all the work for us. ;)

In all seriousness, point taken. I just never heard anything good about the WIndows FW when it came out, but I suppose they have been making improvements since then. Thanks again for all your advice. :grinthumb

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back