TechSpot

Turning a spare router into an access point.

By Bridgesii
Nov 17, 2007
  1. Hey guys.
    I have this old Linksys WRT54G V3.0 in my room. Downstairs, we have a Wireless DSL router. Right now, i have a wireless card in my computer, and it takes up a PCI slot. My problem is, is that because of the size of my video card, i only have 1 PCI slot that is usable. So, right now, i have my Creative Sound card Sitting in its box because I can't sit it in the other PCI slot on my mobo(Vid card blocking).

What I'm trying to do here, is make my wireless router receive the wireless connection from the DSL router downstairs, and act as an access point so i can plug in a lan cable to it and then to my Comp. I have been trying this for hours today, and googling for answers to no avail. I'm sure there must be a way. Most people tell me that the only way this router would be an access point is if it was hard wired to the DSL router. I find that to be absurd, because the reason behind wireless is so you don't have 100+ feet of cord strung about.

Any of you guys have any idea how to do this? I can't seem to find any instructions online and would much appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advanced
    -Brendan

2. Computer~freak~

Computer~freak~ TS Rookie Posts: 206

3. Bridgesii

Bridgesii TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the fast response. That is indeed what I am trying to do. Only problem is is that the link they give to do said process no longer exists. If i use Archive.org, i can view the page, but the pictures are missing, and he explains how to do it in pictures :(.

-Turns out i cant post links. Oh well, the link i was trying to post was Archive's version of the page i needed.

at least now i know it can be done, so im not going to quit now. - Off to google WDS and how to set one up.

4. Computer~freak~

well thats wierd i used that right before i posted it to make sure everthing and all the links worked and it worked for me

5. Bridgesii

Hmmm, Well, i THINK i may have found just what i was looking for though thanks to your post. I wen to the dead link, and went to its domain and then to tutorials and i believe i found what i need. If not, i found another tutorial where i would have to upgrade its firmware with one from dd-wrt. Thanks a lot. I had no idea what i was looking for until your post.

6. Computer~freak~

no problem hope everything works out for you!

7. Bridgesii

ahhh.. i think i turned my router into a paper weight. Hmmm... now i need to figure out how to tftp a new bin file over to him... ugh...

8. Bridgesii

YAY! I finaly got it to work. Only took me.... 9 and a half hours.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.