Turns out it was a different Galaxy device, not a Note 7, that caught fire in a child's hands

midian182

Staff member

The Galaxy Note 7 saga is proving to be one of the worst episodes in Samsung's history. Despite asking people to return the defective devices, reports of exploding Notes have been arriving thick and fast. One of the most shocking cases was that of a six-year-old boy, whose handset “burst into flames” as he used it. But while the smartphone in question was a Galaxy, it turns out that it wasn’t a Note 7.

The original New York Post story claimed the boy was watching videos on his grandfather’s Note 7 when it ignited, resulting in a trip to the Downstate Medical Center. The fact that a child had been injured caused more damage to Samsung’s already bruised reputation.

It seems, however, it wasn’t a Note 7 that caught fire, but a Galaxy Core Prime. NBC New York identified the device, which was released back in 2014 and has a removable battery. The reason why it exploded hasn’t yet been determined, but the whole situation doesn’t appear in any way related to the Note 7 issue.

As noted by Android Central, it hasn’t been confirmed that the Core Prime was using the original battery provided by Samsung, and it could have contained an unreliable third-party battery bought from a local cart or store.

It’s been an unpleasant incident for all involved, but Samsung will probably feel some relief that it wasn’t yet another Note 7 going up in flames. But it still has to deal with other cases, such as the damaged hotel room and burned-out Jeep Grand Cherokee, which have been blamed on the company’s defective phone.

Permalink to story.

...but the whole situation doesn’t appear in any way related to the Note 7 issue.
Was the battery recently replaced with a "new" one? I could see the relevance there...

Well I guess at least they're trying to deal with it instead of hiding everything. Although will likely be a good lesson to make sure they quality test everything before it hits the market . . .

...but the whole situation doesn’t appear in any way related to the Note 7 issue.
Was the battery recently replaced with a "new" one? I could see the relevance there...

probably not... it's hard to buy a real replacement battery. Go on Amazon and search for them - they all say they're real OEM batteries, but if you buy one you'll find they start losing their charge fast after a month or so. Yay Chinese IP laws!

The bummer about this is that the story about the Note 7 burning a kid made all the headlines. the story about it not actually being a Note 7 will only be on tech sites. The damage has already been done for Samsung.

This is the point. if your device is hot enough to be "annoying" at the very least while holding it. put it the fawk down.

Too late, as mentioned, the damage is done. The retraction will never erase the original headline
Truck burning smells a little fishy as well. I mean it could be true, but who leaves a flagship phone in an unattended vehicle these days....

Back