TechSpot

TV on widescreen monitor

By danimal1971
Dec 29, 2005
  1. Hola!

I am just getting to the point where my old video card in my Compaq 7110US won't play a few of the games I'd like to try, it won't support the new digital LCD monitor that I got (no DVI out, no widescreen resolution).

So my first step will be to upgrade my video card - one of the more experienced posters recommended making sure that I select a card with DirectX9 - what is the difference between this and the other DX versions?

Next step is for a new TV tuner - any recommendations here? I am trying to keep the price low on this, but I'll spend what I have to in order to get a quality tuner. I would like one that is HD ready, so that I can just plug in an HDTV cable box and watch HD on the widescreen monitor. Suggestions?

I am also playing with the new Viewsonic 1912 widescreen monitor here at work, as opposed to the 20.1" Sceptre from Costco that I have from home. Has anyone compared the cheaper Viewsonic WS line with other models? I am interested in how the Sceptre stacks up to the 20.1" Viewsonic. Is there a better choice for my home needs (AutoCAD, surfing & e-mail, photos, NO gaming, and TV/DVD viewing)?

Anyways, Thanks for the knowlegeable insight that has already been shared, and I'll be browsing the site further to learn as much about video as possible.! Thanks.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,373   +289

I have a suggestion for the TV card - I've got an ATI HDTV Wonder Elite - works great but if you plan on doing any kind of recording I hope you have a massive amount of storage. My standard HD recording before re-compression is at a rate of about 99-100 MB/min. That puts a 1 hour show at 6 gig.

Also, pretty much any of the recently released video cards with will dx9 support (decent ones anyway - nothing like $50 cards) and have a DVI port. That stuff shouldn't be too hard to find.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.