TechSpot

TV-out query

By sintinian
Dec 30, 2008
  1. i'm attempting a linkup to an old crt tv for use with a playstation emulator. the low res looks awful shown on a pc monitor.

i've been doing some reading online and i'm not sure if i will be able to get colour.

the tv in question has a scart socket at the back and the yellow V/A phono sockets on the front, but no s-video.

the graphics card is an nvidia 8800GTX with s-video (7 pin). i'v been looking at s-video to scart adapter, but they all have 4 pins... can a 4 pin cable go into a 7 pin socket?

i heard off one person that if the tv doesn't have any s-video socket then it will only display black and white, can anyone confirm this?

my card also has 2 DVI sockets and i have a DVI to VGA converter. would VGA to scart be another option?

so in short, i can go either s-video to composite, s-v to scart or vga to scart. But... will i get colour?

which is best to use? and do i HAVE to use the cards s-video or can i used VGA?

thanks

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Hi

you can go SVideo to composite, i used to use that on an old voodoo video card, and on an old latitude laptop, the lead had 4 pins in it and ended in a yellow rca plug, and yes it was colour (to some degree it appeared a bit washed out sometimes)

You can also go Svideo to scart with a correct adaptor, however it will still be composite.

i did once try svideo to svideo but it was black and white for some reason.

3. sintinian

sintinian TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok i'll see which is the cheaper cable, rca or scart.

would one lead have better quality over the other?

thanks for reply

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.