Tweak - MFT Fragmentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinku

I found this here:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37012.aspx
==
After installing your XP/2000 PC with all software and data. Run at Cmd line like FOR /L %f in (1,1,10000) do md %f

And then (not on root dir. C:\) FOR /L %f in (1,1,50000) do echo Hey > %f

This will create 10000 dir and 50000 files that you can delete. This increases the MFT size. Download Diskkeeper demo. Run MFT defrag once and you will probaby never need it again :).

Bye ;)
==

Anyone know what the heck this guy's talking about?
A. MFT Fragmentation = ?
B. How/Why is it useful? (Performance-wise)
C. If you can decipher his code, please do so and let me know.

I've made all the backups I need; wanna try this out.
I'd appreciate it. Thanks :wave:

MFT=master file table, it is the table that keeps track of the files on your hard drive, I guess the the samller it is the faster it will be, and I have no idea about the code...lol. I am not sure I would want to try it, I have an OEM install, and I have a restore partition, so that may make a difference too.

from what I gather ,most defrag utilitys can't defrag this part of the hard drive cause it it being used
a good software utility like I use (O&O Defrag)
you can set it to defrag on boot thats when the OS is not running yet.
other than that ,can't say I recognze that as a batch program command to defrag the MFT.
must increase the size of the file,not so sure that would help any.
anyone else know if this works

hmn...thanks for that info. but you guys did steer me away from wanting to try that. haha

on another note, i found another tweak on that web site a month ago that made my system boot up within less than a minute (a reboot, i mean). the xp logo vanished within 2 seconds and my start button was available within 5 seconds after logging in. now, i thought i saved that tweak, but i don't think i did.

i had to do an OS reinstal because of some beeped up hardware failure, but i have been looking for that tweak for a whole day now. anyone know any other sites where i can look this up? or some really cool thread of techspot that would help me out with that particular tweak? this is a test box, so i reboot my system 15 times a day (even on virtual pc!), so this tweak was really helpful. someone plz give suggestions. thanks.

That for loop looks legit. It creates a lot of files, filling the MFT and forcing Windows to expand the MFT area beyond its normal limits. After that you defragment the MFT making it one big contiguous chunk.

This will only help you if you plan to put thousands of small files on your partition later on and never fill up the thing. Once the file area of a partition gets full Windows will start using the space that was allocated to your huge MFT (horrendous fragmentation happens).

tinku said:
on another note, i found another tweak on that web site a month ago that made my system boot up within less than a minute (a reboot, i mean). the xp logo vanished within 2 seconds and my start button was available within 5 seconds after logging in. now, i thought i saved that tweak, but i don't think i did.

Could this be the tweak you are talking about: http://www.tweakxp.com/article37025.aspx

hi - i don't remember that tweak being associated with the boot menu. since this has something to do with the boot.something file, i'll make that change tonight and see what happens though. sorry for not responding eariler guys. work's killing me.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back