Tweets and Vines set to invade US movie screens this summer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Twitter has signed an agreement with in-theater advertising firm National CineMedia (NCM) that will deliver entertainment-related tweets and Vine videos to movie screens across the country this summer.

According to a press release on the matter, theaters affiliated with the advertising company will run a 1-minute show each week that focuses on trending entertainment and movie content. The weekly format means that anything that happens since the previous show is fair game, NCM said.

Powered by Twitter and Vine, the segment will encourage moviegoers to take part in discussions via hashtags with the lure that their tweets could make it to the big screen. If you needed yet another reason to avoid movie theaters altogether, this could be it.

In a statement on the matter, Cliff Marks, president of sales and marketing with NCM Media Networks, said Twitter has become an amazing barometer of movie trends. The new show hopes to take audiences beyond the red carpet for an original look inside the world of movie production, he added.

NCM is responsible for those advertisements you see before the previews start. They supply ads to nearly 20,000 screens owned by big names like AMC Entertainment, Cinemark Holdings and Regal Entertainment Group, not to mention some smaller regional chains.

The on-screen format is still being hammered out, we’re told. Once that is complete, the companies plan to approach brand sponsors for advertising spots.

Permalink to story.

If I see a tweet pop-up on the screen (or any ad for that matter) when I am watching the new Godzilla movie I will flip f*king balls, demand to have my money and probably never go see a movie again at that theater.
Keep this childish tweet thing for teenagers away from my movie, they are the only ones that give a sh!t.

Last edited:
@amstech

"NCM is responsible for those advertisements you see before the previews start."

This is not in movie marketing, rather pre movie marketing.

@amstech,

My thoughts exactly. Forced ads prior to a movie you have already "paid" to watch is bad enough. If they start posting tweets during movies....I imagine a whole lotta people are going to be upset. Who wants to read tweets during a feature presentation...is it April 1st today? Unbelievable.

It's bad enough trying to watch TV these days with bs messages appearing in the bottom left corner I don't give a rat's arse about from Timmy Jones or whoever the hell thinks they're so important that they're opinion needs to be seen by millions of people who just don't care. Whoever thought up this horse dung idea that seems to be a growing trend should have kept it to themselves, now we have to have this crap before PAID for movies... Make the movie free and you can do what you like with it, as long as I'm paying $10 everyone else can keep their opinions to themselves.

Back