Twitter comes out in support of the FCC's net neutrality proposal

By Shawn Knight
Feb 23, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. In the lead-up to the Federal Communications Commission's vote on proposed net neutrality regulations later this week, Twitter on Monday voiced its opinion on the matter.

Read more

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 909   +245

One more piece of freedom the feds are trying to taking away.... one little piece at a time. Eventually we'll have nothing if we don't fight for what is right. All this crap about companies need regulated is just that, crap. Vote with your wallets people. Don't like a companies practice, you know where the door is...
    p51d007 likes this.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,384   +2,171

It is interesting to watch the coverage of NN. Techspot et. al. seem to have no issue supplying occasional articles wherein unprofitable and/or overvalued companies argue for "light regulation" of the web while all but ignoring news identifying the current proposal as a leviathan.

I haven't been this excited to read a mystery box law since they passed healthcare back in 2010.
  4. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 820   +390

I can admit that I can't see the far reaching effects this reclassification may have, however, I'm wondering what you mean by "vote with your wallets people."?
    I really would like you to elaborate more on this; in fact, give me at least 1 (one) alternative to the current ISP I have.
  5. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Where you live isn't the ISP's fault. Maybe you should argue to your local state government to allow more competition in the area.
  6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,384   +2,171

It has to do w/ the nature of the law and the language used. It does not create competition but grants control over the technology to the FCC. This can range from the idealistic "equal treatment" of data to selective prioritization/bandwidth regulations to ensure websites receive equal exposure. It also means new taxes and greater service charges.

A good reference point would be the various "unintended" and "miscalculated" consequences of the Affordable Care Act, which worsened 5 things for every 1 it improved.
    cmbjive likes this.