Twitter continues to wage war on abuse, announces new Trust and Safety Council

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Twitter has been a haven for hateful and abusive behavior for years (the company's former CEO admitted as much a year ago). Despite efforts to the contrary, Twitter hasn't been very successful in quelling the abuse but that doesn't mean it should stop trying.

On Tuesday, Twitter's head of global policy outreach, Patricia Cartes, announced the formation of the Twitter Trust & Safety Council. Described as a part of its foundational strategy to ensure people feel safe expressing themselves on Twitter, the council consists of more than 40 organizations and experts from 13 regions tasked with reviewing the products, policies and programs that Twitter rolls out.

Inaugural members include safety advocates, academics and researchers that specialize in the fields of minors, media literacy and digital citizenship, grassroots advocacy organizations that use Twitter to build movements and momentum and community groups designed to prevent abuse, harassment and bullying.

Other organizations, Cartes added, focus on mental health and suicide prevention.

The new council is the latest step by Twitter to combat a serious problem. Last year, then-CEO Dick Costolo told employees in an internal memo that Twitter flat out sucked at dealing with abuse and trolls and they've sucked at it for years.

Later that year, Twitter required Tor users to provide a phone number when opening an account and rolled out a "quality filter" to help remove tweets thought to contain threats, offensive or abusive language or those coming from suspicious accounts. In December, the microblogging platform updated its terms of service to further combat abusive and hateful conduct.

Only time will tell how effective the Trust & Safety Council is at further curbing such behavior.

Permalink to story.

"Only time will tell how effective the Trust & Safety Council is at further curbing such behavior."

It will work like a charm. They will suspend accounts critical of views held by the council and Twitter will fall out of fashion as a direct result of thought policing.

Truth? LMAO...
Prime example, the hands up/black lives crap that came out of the Ferguson Mo shooting of the so called "innocent" Michael Brown. It was twittered, facebooked and what not, that the police shot an "innocent man" running away from the police with his hands in the air. The area went nuts, burned down the town.
THEN, when the truth came out the "gentle giant" assaulted a convenience store owner, punched the office, tried to take away his weapon, was running TOWARD the officer, and was shot from the FRONT, it made no difference. The damage was done. There have been countless instances since twitter came along, that some celebrity or other ***** tweets something not true, that stirs up the rest of the morons that follow them for whatever reason.
All of this social media can be used properly for good, but without vetting some of this crap, by the time the truth comes out, the damage is done.

You completely failed to mention Anita "I'll disable all comments on my videos and accuse any criticism of misogyny and harassment" Sarkeesian as part of the council: already a ****ing joke.

You completely failed to mention Anita "I'll disable all comments on my videos and accuse any criticism of misogyny and harassment" Sarkeesian as part of the council: already a ****ing joke.

^ reported for harassment and blatant sexism.

She's part of the council? Either it is doomed or Twitter is doomed with her there, or both but it will not end well.

Back