Twitter diversity report looks no different than other Silicon Valley tech giants

Shawn Knight

Staff member

twitter facebook google yahoo linkedin diversity report gender ethnicity

Diversity reports are the new hot topic in Silicon Valley as Twitter is next in line for everyone to comb over. Unsurprisingly, the microblogging platform on Wednesday joined a growing list of tech companies dominated by white males, just as we've seen from Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and Yahoo in recent months.

The report indicates that 70 percent of Twitter's overall workforce are male and 90 percent of its tech-oriented employees are also men. Non-tech roles - things like marketing, public relations, human resources, etc. - are gender split 50/50 while 79 percent of leadership roles are held by, you guessed it, men.

The ethnic breakdown, meanwhile, reveals Twitter employs mostly whites and Asians at 59 and 29 percent of the overall workforce, respectively. That same ratio is pretty much mirrored across both tech and non-tech jobs. Leadership roles are held primarily by whites at 72 percent followed by Asians at 24 percent. Other races make up just four percent of all leadership positions.

Janet Van Huysse, Twitter's vice president of diversity and inclusion, said they are keenly aware that Twitter is part of an industry that is marked by dramatic imbalances in diversity and they are no exception.

By becoming more transparent with employee data, open in dialog throughout the company and rigorous in recruiting, hiring and promotion practices, Van Huysse added, they are making diversity an important business issue for themselves.

Permalink to story.

Hmm... According to my smartphone app, I'm neither surprised nor concerned about this.

Diversity should not be a hot topic at any company, its no secret that whoever studies hard and can do the job correctly can land any job at any company whether they are a woman/monitory etc.

Employment should be based on qualifications, not gender or race. Hiring a black man who isn't qualified just because he is black is just as racist as not hiring a black man who is qualified. I'm really sick of this diversity BS. We should be judged on our accomplishments, not our race or gender.

Diversity, hire less skilled people to boost your diversity score, this seems pretty pathetic tbh its obvious its gonna be mostly whites in a white country... if you did a diversity score on each company in india wanna guess what the "dominant" race is? its not gonna be whites I can tell ya!

If non-whites were more skilled then obviously there would be more of a diversity.... but because were not in japan, india, mexico we dont see many non-whites in big companies...

I also agree that diversity shouldn't matter. My biggest complaint about diversity crap is that the numbers just don't add up for those who are making issues out of nothing.

Here is my opinion:
If 85% of the people in school for tech jobs are white males, then 85% of the jobs should probably be filled by white males.

I also agree that diversity shouldn't matter. My biggest complaint about diversity crap is that the numbers just don't add up for those who are making issues out of nothing.

Here is my opinion:
If 85% of the people in school for tech jobs are white males, then 85% of the jobs should probably be filled by white males.

Your opinion is so intuitively reasonable that I must declare it racist and report you for some crime of arbitrary detail. How dare you suggest the statistics reflect the reality! Check your privilege, or something.

The word "diversity" is meaningless without giving a basis to diversify. There are countless criteria from which to choose, so if we pick any criterion, it should be one that provides value in reconciling. The color of your skin or the particular gender to which you belong is inconsequential. We are supposed to be a color blind and gender blind society that treats all people equally and preserves the rights of all people equally. When are we going to actually listen to the words of Dr. King and evaluate each other based our character and who we are as human beings? The only diversity that a company should care to increase is diversity of abilities and diversity of thought.

Wow! Look at that picture, they're clearly discriminating against unattractive people!

Take another look. There is no one over the age of 40! So it is ageist as well.

Actually I think these articles are what I would call the bleeding obvious. Clearly the IT industry does attract geeks. And geeks are generally male. If you took primary schools and did a similar exercise you would not be surprised that the workforce is dominated by women.

Back