Twitter to track the list of apps installed on your mobile device

1. Twitter has announced that it will begin tracking the list of apps installed on your mobile device, a move the company says will help it build a more personal experience for you on the microblogging service.

Read more
  2. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande TS Rookie

Twitter app deleted from phone ...3...2...1
    So sick of these dot coms presuming they own your data simply because they can see it...
  3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,588   +278

Makes me glad I never signed up for Twitter.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

Don't panic, there's still plenty of time to do it. I have an account but I never use it and I don't have the app installed on any devices, this applies to FB as well. Social networking is not my thing, trolling this site is about the closest I come to it. :D
    Arris likes this.
  5. Capaill

Capaill TS Addict Posts: 279   +86

I don't even use Twitter :)
    My only concern with the way it's implemented is that Twitter might already have retrieved the list of apps on your mobile device before you can opt out of it. A simple yes/no question before the feature is enabled would be preferable and more clear.
  6. S_Brideau

S_Brideau TS Rookie Posts: 65

So that's why they updated their needed permissions. It's why I don't have the latest twitter update on my phone, it was asking for the microphone and camera access which I do not want to give them. I will keep using the old version until it stops working, and then I'll uninstall it and just use the computer. Same goes on with fb messenger, I don't have it installed at all because of the permissions the app "needs".
  7. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Posts: 536   +21

"more personal experience for you..." - which in reality means more personalized advertisement. Seriously, who really wants that? -time to root my phone and uninstall Twitter too...
  8. Twitter has become essential in Hong Kong for English speakers - only way yo get true news as the Gov here is taking more and more control. But I just deleted the app from my phone. If I get arrested, they'd sieze my phone. This would be far worse than just tracking my apps for ads. Twitter needs to beef up secuirty, not do app tracking ****. Way wrong move.
  9. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,602   +370

Read my mind. App uninstalled.