Two ethernet cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrprimo55

I was just playing some games online and looking at my ping and wondering, would it be possible for me to install another ethernet card on my computer and somehow make the two work together to get twice the speed? I run my cable connection through a router and was just wondering if this would work to get faster speeds on one of my computers. I figure if this is possible its worth it because 10/100 ethernet cards are only like $20 at best buy. thanks.

No.

Even if it was possible, you'd only be increasing the speed if your lan. And then you'd have to be able to trunk ports on your switch if it was under 1000mbps transfer speed, AND trunk nics to one device.

No matter how fast your lan speeds are if you have a 1.44mbps max download for internet connectivity, that is the fastest you will be able to pull data from the internet.

I have heard that this will increase speed
depends on how far you are away if you use DSL
dial up I don't know bout. I have wondered about doing this myself
I know you have to change reg settings to more than 10 simultanous connections W2k and XP default
servers are already set lots higher oh ya don't buy cheap cards the firmware will not support this function.
let us know if you decide and what happens

Again..No.

Even if it were possible to trunk your ethernet cards, the most you would get is redundancy. If the switch, or hub you use is 10/100 then really the fastest line speed transfer rate you would get would be 100mbps.

Even if you could trunk your ethernet ports to increase your bandwidth the max you could get, again theoretically, would be 200mbps. Again if your switch/hub is 100mbps max this is the MAXIMUM speed you can transfer at.

The only exception is if you use a layer 3 managed switch and trunk vlan ports. Then you would have to have a NIC that was at least 1000mbps to get anything over 100mbps.

This is all lan traffic. If you want to increase the speed if your internet connection this is totally irrelevant.

First there is no residential internet connectivity that exceeds 100mbps. In fact there isn't one that exceeds 10mbps. The fastest commercially available internet connection is OC-255 at 13.21Gbps. Again, COMMERCIALLY available. I don't think LECs drop, with the exception of fios(30mbps), fiber to houses.

If your connection speed on your DSL is 768Kbps then that is the maximum speed that you can connect....although i've yet to see one that actually peaked that that speed..:\

The only way to increase your internet speed is to shell out the money to get the next plan up. DSL at it's highest speed will still fall FAR below your lan speed.

Please feel free to ask if you want a more in-depth explanation of LAN and WAN technologies and principles. I think i've been to wordy already. I'm sorry if I sound condescending here, but I don't want you to waste your time and money. I'm by no means trying to ridicule you. I think we all welcome all questions here at techspot.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back