Two flash drives acting flakey, one is not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six USB flash drives not working correctly; Sandisk Cruiser 8Gb & OCZ Rally2 Turbo 4Gb.
Symptoms with Sandisk Cruiser are as follows:

SanDisk Cruzer Contour

1. The drive isn’t seen at all in Disk Manager.
2. The drive is seen in explorer but the “used space” is 0 and the “free space” is 0.
3. If I uninstall the Cruzer Contour USB Device and reinsert it I can see it in Disk Manager and explorer. I can access the files a short while but it is SLOW and freezes the system and then the drive disappears once again from Disk Manager and explorer shows used space” is 0 and the “free space” is 0.
4. The drive has been low level formatted on another computer. Disk manager was used to recreate partition and format. Applications were installed on another computer.
5. The flash drive works on the other computer.
6. The above occurs on any open ports I have (3) while the USB keyboard and Logitech G9 are connected and function properly.
7. No errors in Device Manager for Hubs/Root Hubs/etc.
8. My Ironkey 2Gb USB flash drive works on both computers without any problems.
OCZ Rally2 Turbo
1. Upon insertion often the OCZ flash drive will go from seen to unseen then back to being detected.
2. The drive IS seen in Disk Manager and shows “Healthy”.
3. The drive IS seen in explorer.
4. The drive is incredibly slow accessing anything on the device and freezes the explorer while waiting for the application to load.
5. The flash drive works in the other computer.
6. The OCZ Rally2 Turbo has been checked on any available USB port with the same results.
7. Any type of error scan run on the drive causes it to freeze then explorer and Disk do not see the flash drive anymore.
8. No errors in Device Manager for Hubs/Root Hubs/etc.
9. My Ironkey 2Gb USB flash drive works on both computers without any problems.

Problematic PC Hardware inventory
• CPU: Intel 670 3.8Ghz (not overclocked)
• Motherboard: DFI Lanparty 875P-T
• Optical Drv: Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1P
• Hard Drives: WD 15000AHFD-00RAR1 Raptor 150Gb
• 3ware 7500 RAID: 4 disk array of 150Gb drives

• Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510SLI (rail voltages 12.1v and 5.1v [under load observed])
• RAM: 2GB matched OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum
• VideoCard: EVGA 7800GS AGP
• Cooling: Water – Swiftech MCP655, DD Black Ice Xtreme II Dual 120mm, Apogee Extreme CPU block, DD Low profile Maze4
• Sound: E-MU 0404 DAS
• Mouse: Logitech G9 connected to hub 0, port 2
• Keyboard: Fatality USB
• Printer: HP 5400 USB
Operating System
• Just reloaded less than a 4 days ago; Windows XP Pro SP3
• Chipset INF drivers were loaded from manufactures website
• Latest BIOS is installed; AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Well that’s about it. Took me almost an hour to compile this message. There is really no other information needed. Like I said the Ironkey works on this system. There is two more items to mention ; I attempted to access the flash disks in Safe Mode and the same thing occurred except with the Ironkey of course and I use USBView to view installed/non-installed USB devices.

Later Mates!
absentem laedit cum ebrio qui litigat

"Absentem laedit cum ebrio qui litigat"...
To quarrel with a drunk, is to wrong a man who is not even there

Long post, have to tested these on other computers? Looks like you have a box full of bad flash drives

LOL

"Absentem laedit cum ebrio qui litigat"...
To quarrel with a drunk, is to wrong a man who is not even there

Long post, have to tested these on other computers? Looks like you have a box full of bad flash drives

Your serious? Sounds like my providers technical support; Cox.
It was a usb chipset on my hp5400 usb printer causing usb flash problems. I guess it's easier to believe that 7 flash drives are bad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back