TechSpot

Two hard drives

By martinlw
Aug 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi I have bought a laptop for my daughter its harddrive is 750gb but when I found it it is two hard drives.one initialled OS and the other data how is this supposed to work.regards Martin

2. Spykezxp

Spykezxp TS Booster Posts: 179   +30

I know some manufactures have different ways they produce their setups, but most of the time its a partition and not another hard drive. What it does is store the System Backup / Restore on one partition so that you can reset the laptop to factory settings and the main "hard drive" (usually C prompt) is the partition you use on a daily basis. Unless you physically looked inside the laptop and saw 2 different hard drives, it should be just one hard drive that is split partitions. What is the make and model of this laptop? We can determine what setup you have with that information.

SNGX1275 likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,063   +919

Exactly. If it is a laptop, it is VERY unlikely that there are two separate drives since there is so little space. That said, it is most likely a partition like Spykes said. HP usually does this. They allocate some space to a backup image just in case something goes wrong and the main image on the primary partition is corrupted. It will not protect against hardware failure though since it is one physical drive still.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

A typical laptop looks like
    upload_2014-8-1_11-15-4.png

The names under the column label Volume is arbitrary

SNGX1275 likes this.
  5. martinlw

martinlw TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 129

The model is Asus X553M.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.