TechSpot

Two HD's, two different OS's

By Monkely
Jun 15, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it possible to have a "master" hard drive with XP on it and a slave with ME? I am getting a new pc and would like to port the HD from my old PC over. The old one has ME on it, plus tons of data, games, etc... The new HD would be the master; I don't care if I can use ME, XP is better anyways. I just want XP to be able to read the info on the old drive. If you can help me, please email me at s.till@netzero.net.

thanks

scott

2. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

yes you can do this without problems

just put both HDDs in the computer and set the XP one as master and the ME one as slave using the jumpers on the HDDs

welcome to TS by the way ;)

and people answer on the boards, never email you back in this place ;)

3. Monkely

Monkely TS Rookie Topic Starter

Will I still be able to use the programs on the ME drive?

4. Goalie

Goalie TS Rookie Posts: 703

Monkley, if you mean can you access files on the ME drive, you should be able to as XP recognizes both FAT and NTFS. As far as running the programs, reinstallation in the XP system may be required, just specify the program's install directory as the location that it's already at. Most programs won't have a problem with that, might reset some settings, but you should be good to go.

Hope this helps, and welcome!

5. Monkely

Monkely TS Rookie Topic Starter

Right ON!!! Thank y'all so much for your assistance!!

monkely

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.