Two IBM harddrive in handbagae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was heading home to parents and did bring my two IBM 75GB disks in my handbage while flying.

And strangely both disks are out of work, can't find them in BIOS and they click for about a minute but still nowhere I can find them
or get them to work.

Guess both the disks are out of work, but wonder what might have happen. The flight was a bit bumby but the disks should manage that right? The strange is that both disks is sounds 100% the same.

Anyone with idea how to fix or what might have happen?

thanks

best regards
yoggi

They might have been exposed to a strong magnetic field. Or they have been handled poorly. Baggage handlers in airports don't give a damn. They will probably never work again.

If they are making a 'clicking' noise, then they have been damaged.

Two possible causes: 1) Both were damaged by static during handling (IBM drives, and others, are highly sensitive to static damage, and you need to use the original silvered anti-static bags when storing the drives). 2) Both suffered physical damage, probably because they weren't placed in shockproof packaging, such as foam, or bubblewrap.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it now.

aircraft get mega amounts of static especially through storms. also 75gs is not actaully a lot. simply dropping a drive from a foot can kill it and luggage is generally thrown around.

They were probably tossed, although I have a whole box of floppy disks go through luggage and come out not working.. Not even formattable. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back