TechSpot

Two new EverQuest games are coming - this could be the salvation of the MMORPG

By Julio Franco
Aug 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Just when it seemed that the future of MMOs might be a bit boring, the people behind EverQuest have decided to massively shake things up. Announced yesterday in Las Vegas, Sony Online Entertainment is making not one but two new...

Read more

cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 893   +172

I'm very excited for EQ Next! MMO's have always been my genre of choice. This news gives me high hope for the future of the MMO gaming.

3. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 549   +149

The combat. How will that be? If it's another WoW style action bar fest, I'll pass...

Arris likes this.
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

This sounds like something id pay a flat fee/monthly for.
    but I just cant do f2p games. too bad.

5. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 198   +28

Seems interesting. I hope they also have an intelligent system to handle bots.

6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 907   +241

You should pass on all PC games then, because the mouse and keyboard aren't going anywhere soon and game-pads have their limitations as well.
    My DeathAdder and BlackWidow Ultimate have been excellent gaming companions.

wastedkill likes this.
  7. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 570   +97

I signed up for the beta. Hopefully this f2p will appear on the PS4. I'm still leery of f2p myself, but I'm always willing to give it a shot if the game is exciting.

wastedkill likes this.
  8. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,372   +407

Do you think they could have copied Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite any closer?

9. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 908   +54

I'm still plenty wow'd out.

10. m4a4

Yes. Because ALL pc games have me pressing buttons to do boring scripted events -_- great logic...

11. coppersloane

coppersloane TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

This looks amazing, but combat is vital, and they haven't shown it yet. Although one could assume from the high quality 'heroic' movement that combat will be equally impressive. Here's hoping...

12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,254   +1,550

And how is that different from console? Every button pressed on a joystick, mouse, or keyboard is a scripted event.

13. m4a4

...How does this translate to console? He was suggesting that I don't play any PC games because I do not like WoW's style of boring scripted combat, and now you are referring to console?

14. cliffordcooley

I wasn't referring to either one. I was asking what the difference was between them from your stand point. I don't like WoW style of game play either, but would that not also be present in console? Without actually knowing, I'm trying to picture the issue in my mind.

15. m4a4

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but I haven't found a game with such scripted events on console (however, I would avoid them anyways). I would imagine there aren't many of these types of games on console, however, as they are usually in MMO's (and there aren't many MMO's on console)...

16. cliffordcooley

Ahh, don't worry about it. It is probably my ignorance getting in the way again. I think I do understand what you are getting at though. The huge selection of mouse click-able events in the command-bar, that would be impossible to map to a controller. I think they mentioned this in the article and are trying to fix it, where the player can concentrate on the game more than the command-bar.

17. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 992   +31

From the description it seems that it's more like Guild Wars style, a small number of actions you can select, compared to EQ2 style where you need a ton of action bars to represent all the actions.

18. danhodge

danhodge TS Rookie Posts: 80   +13

Apparently its gonna be action orientated; more like GW2, less like WoW.

19. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 752   +240

Translation: we outsourced it all to copycat Koreans who won't deliver half of what we're promising. Even if they do it will be dumbed down for consoles. Oh, I'm limited to eight abilities at at time? LOL! The original EQ will still have more players than this thing does when it goes dark in 18 months.

20. amstech

When I used to raid 10/25 mans on a good raid guild during the WotLK days, no console games compared to the intensity of a difficult boss on hard when everyone's gear didn't win the fight for them. Not even Drakes, Skyrim or God Of War.
    Even scripted there are countless random events and possibilities.
    I've played every console game there is and you forfeit your lack of experience/knowledge about WoW completely when you say boring scripted events.
    And thats about 10% of what WoW has to offer.

Did you try PvP and get your a$$ handed to you?
    Unless you have atleast 100 days of playtime, and have played through multiple patches/expansions throughout the years, your opinion on WoW is pretty useless.

21. m4a4

Wonderful! I do not like such boring mechanics. I have tried playing many similar MMO's (and the best way to describe what I don't like is with mentioning WoW). So no, I do not need to play a game like that for 100 hours to know I don't like it! -_-

22. amstech

Hmm, just sounds like your bitching about actions bars.
    There is much more to WoW then that.

Keep in mind your talking about a very old game.
    Even so, your opinion on it being boring is pretty much useless, no pun intended.

23. m4a4

Sure. I do not find such mechanics exciting and apparently that is an opinion that some people don't get without seemingly "bitching" about.
    And that is a main combat feature, so it doesn't matter what else there is if I don't like a main feature.

24. amstech

Sure what? Your not sure because you don't know.
    Sure, whatever you say, lol.

25. Eeeeww. here I thought a new mmo came out of the old classic game everquest :) but its just hd version of minekraft :s wtf have they been smoking ? :eek:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.