Two NVidia cards poss?

By fish4specs
Aug 14, 2006
  1. I had two video cards in my system. An Asylum Geforce FX5200 AGP 256mb (single head) and a 3Dfx Voodoo4 PCI card (for second monitor). I replaced both with an eVGA e-Geforce 6200 AGP 256mb (two head - both monitors on one card) but my video editing program suffered (serious lag when scrubbing video) so I've reinstalled Asylum and Voodoo cards. I also tried the 6200 with the Voodoo4 but program still had lag. Guess Canopus Edius doesn't like the 6200. I would like to replace the Voodoo4 card with something better. Is it possible to use an Nvidia 5200 or 5500 PCI card with the Asylum card. Will there be a problem with both using the same driver? Should driver be installed a second time in different location?
    Since editing program functions properly with FX5200 would a newer dual head FX5200 be better? Would performance suffer sharing resources between two monitors?
    AMD Athlon64 3700+
    2 Gig DDR400
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
    Asylum Geforce 5200 AGP 256mb
    3Dfx Voodoo4 PCI 32mb
    Edius NX PCIe x1
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

In theory you can stick any number of PCI video cards in your system and it should work. I'd say, with such a big company like nVidia, the drivers are able to cope with several cards, especially if they are not identical.

Matrox is always a sure bet for multi-anything (unless you want stellar 3D performance of course).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.