Two processors listed

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, i have two processors listed in my device manager, though i only have one installed. it says both are working. i also have two video cards listed as well. one says 'secondary.' is this a problem? what can i do to fix it?

do you happen have a Intel Pentium 4 processor and one of the newer ATi video cards?

that phenomenom you are mentioning is normal. i have the same thing happening with my system. you do not have to worry about it -- it is not a problem.

there are two cpus listed because of hyperthreading, which makes the operating system think that there are two cpus (with one physical cpu). you must have one of the newer Pentium 4's that have hyperthreading. you can read more propaganda (i mean info) from Intel regarding hyperthreading here.

you have two video cards listed because the primary adapter is for your monitor and the secondary adapter is for tv out. that is how ATi designed their card to interact with Windows. i am not sure about Nvidia video cards but they probably do something similar to ATi.

thanks for the information. yes i do have a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading, and i do have an ATI video card. i guess it's just another case of strange PC normalities?

is this the right forum to ask about my monitor? it's obviously working now, but when i shut down my comp for a time, and then i go to restart it. the monitor doesn't always load properly. i'll turn on the CPU and the monitor, the monitor will turn on, the light will turn green and then the screen says 'power saving' and the green light goes to orange and the monitor screen turns off. sometimes it'll take a few tries of shutting the CPU off and turning it and the monitor back on before i get the monitor to work properly.
what could be the reason for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back