TechSpot

Two router network issues

By Alpine725
Sep 14, 2005
  1. I am having issues with my network configuration...
    Hardware:
    Cable Modem
    D-Link DI624 Wireless Router
    LinkSys RTP300 VoIP Broadband Router

The D-Link router has the cable modem connected to it and is working fine with the internet, computers, a printer and the LinkSys router attached to it. I have one copmputer connected to the LinkSys router that IS able to surf the web and "see" the computers that are connected to the D-Link router but the computers connected to the D-Link router cant "see" the computer connected to the LinkSys router.
    How can I make it so that everyone can "see" everyone?
    Thanks in advance to all that can help.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Are you using a DHCP server on both routers? I have a similar setup, only my VoIP router is first with everything plugged into it, and the wireless one is just an Access Point(DHCP is off). I'd suggest giving that a try. Disable DHCP in you VoIP router, and just make sure you have enough IP allocations in the wireless one to cover your desktop wired.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,311   +617

if all systems can surf the Internet with your current setup, then the TCP, router et all are just fine and the issue is File&Print Sharing from A to B as well as B to A.

Ensure all firewalls allow File & Print Sharing for the internal Lan addresses Only

4. Alpine725

Alpine725 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Two router network issues...

I tried disabling the DHCP on the VoIP router and the file and print sharing is enabled on all involved machines still cant ping the pc on the VoIP router from the pcs on the other router.

I also read something about the IP addresses being on the same network (IE: 192.168.0.x). In my current config the router connected to teh cable modem is 192.168.0.x and the VoIP one is 192.168.15.x. The external IP address of the VoIP router is from the other router - a 192.168.0.x address. When I tried giving the VoIP router a "192.168.0.x" address, the PC connected to it could no longer "see" the other computers nor could it surf the net. So I changed it back and came here.

I am stuck for ideas again...

Thanks for the welcome and replies...got anything else for me to try?

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,311   +617

With a SUBMASK of 255.255.255.0, the addresses of
    192.168.15.x and 192.168.0.x are mutually exclusive; if one works the other will NOT!
    If you have to use the x.15.x then set the submask of both routers and all machines to 255.255.0.0

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.