Two SATAs: Can't get slave to be identified

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I recognize that there is no "slave" when it comes to SATA, but for all intensive purposes I'd like to refer to my secondary SATA as the slave being that the primary has XP on it.

So my issue is that my 'slave' is not showing itself to me under My Computer.

2ahw4qq.jpg

The Master as shown above has windows running on it and the IDE's have some data I'd like to move to this new SATA before I throw them out the window. I have both of my SATA drives plugged into my mobo, under A0 and A1. The device manager even recognizes them both (they are the EXACT same SATA drives).

vg7bk2.jpg

The one highlighted I'm pretty sure is the 'slave'. The question mark indicated on the top shows where you would usually see a "Disable" button that I don't get for this drive.

Anyways, it's apparent that my computer knows it's there, I checked it in BIOS, the two SATAs are in the first two channels. I just have no clue what is left to fix to make this happen.

Any information will help. Thanks!

Your boot drives need to be configured in the bios. Some motherboards are picky when it comes to running both IDE and SATA hard drives at the same time. The Seagate C drive is the boot drive by default... You have a Western Digital IDE drive too.

Since your SATA drives are identical in model and capacity, I can see why you are confused. Make the SATA drive with XP the boot drive. My boot drive is a 400GB SATA and my second SATA drive is a 250GB. Remove the listed IDE Seagate C drive (Disconnect the power cable) and boot the system. See if you have both SATA drives listed in My Computer then

I was just wondering have you formatted the second 'slave' SATA drive?

Does it show up under Disk Managment?
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Managment > Storage > Disk Managment

Well, your ideas were good... but the issue remains, just with less hard drives in the lists.

av6ewx.jpg

I tried changing priority to the other HDD, and it wouldn't boot due to the missing (insert acronym here that I don't remember) so I knew that my channel 1 was the one with XP... aka the one i've been booting from.

2mcas88.jpg

still got nothing. the seagate program successfully copied one of my ide c drive to the hiding sata drive... but i still cant get to it. this is really depressing. lol

Oh ya. turns out that when I run the seagate program, it tells me that it finds a blank disk. last time i ignored it, but this time i followed the steps. it created the new drive and now it's accessible =]

thanks for your efforts guys

There are no such thing as "slave" drives with SATA. Every SATA drive runs on its own channel. Only IDE and SCSI type drives have slaves or daisy chains.

the way to get things back to normal is make sure u're DVR is the first boot priority, put u're Window CD in the drive, boot and reinstall windows. I am sure this is not what u wanted to hear, but it is the easiest thing to do.

brassmonkey1690 said:
Oh ya. turns out that when I run the seagate program, it tells me that it finds a blank disk. last time i ignored it, but this time i followed the steps. it created the new drive and now it's accessible =]

thanks for your efforts guys

Good going brassmonkey1690,
it always a good thing to install new hard drives using the install utility :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back