Two Weeks with the iPhone 6s: An Android user's perspective - Part 1

Scorpus

Staff member

As part of my job reviewing smartphones for TechSpot, I find myself using Android devices most of the time, purely because the vast majority of handsets released in a year run Google’s OS. I’ve dabbled in the iOS ecosystem from time to time, but it’s been years since I’ve actually picked up an iPhone and used it as my daily driver.

With the recent launch of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, I decided to pick up one of Apple’s latest smartphones and use it exclusively for two weeks. What follows are my thoughts on the phone and the ecosystem as primarily an Android user, how the two experiences compare, and whether long-time Android users should contemplate an iOS switch.

Read the complete article.

You can have sort of widgets on the iphone , but after 2 weeks you have no clue on how to use it properly ...
Without even unlocking the main screen .
This is not even new I had that on my iphone 4 ...
Each app has multiple settings to show off on the locked screen .usable widget like ...

"Coming from Android, the notification center is a bit of a letdown. Notification snippets are short, and there’s no interactivity within the center, aside from simply opening the associated app. I really miss having the ability to archive or reply to emails via Android notification quick actions, which is something you can only do in iOS immediately after a notification is received."

Not true. Swipe to the left on a notification in the Notification Center to get the list of actions you can perform.

I use fingerprint ID on both my iPhone and Samsung. I just prefer the android. The article was well written, but I am still android leaning. So much so until after I gave a friend a Samsung Galaxy S tablet, I'm thinking of dropping my iPad for one of my own.

My problems with Apple have nothing to do with IOS or the hardware. They have to do with the way Apple handles the iTunes store. You are required to just have a credit card tied to the account just to even update the apps you already own. I refuse to allow that for my childrens phones. They get pre-paid cards to buy things with since Apple will not police "in-app purchasing" and Apple doesn't like that. Its a ridiculous requirement.

Android does not have that limitation and I can let my kids do what they want and I have the confidence that nothing is going to sneak up on me in the credit card bill.

"Coming from Android, the notification center is a bit of a letdown. Notification snippets are short, and there’s no interactivity within the center, aside from simply opening the associated app. I really miss having the ability to archive or reply to emails via Android notification quick actions, which is something you can only do in iOS immediately after a notification is received."

Not true. Swipe to the left on a notification in the Notification Center to get the list of actions you can perform.

Ah! So you do! (Typical that Apple doesn't show you how to use this feature)

That makes sense, I was wondering why you could do this for pop-up notifications but not in the notification pane

You can have sort of widgets on the iphone , but after 2 weeks you have no clue on how to use it properly ...
Without even unlocking the main screen .
This is not even new I had that on my iphone 4 ...
Each app has multiple settings to show off on the locked screen .usable widget like ...

I meant on the home screen. Touch ID's speed makes anything displayed on the lockscreen useless.

Because Apple restricts the coders access to the IOS, the first third-party software keyboards (Swype, etc) were older versions of what was on Android. Is this still the case?
On Android, voce typing is possible, if the typing software (e.g. Google Keyboard) has internet access. Can Apple do this?

You mention that your Australian accent was not so usable on the Apple system. Are you able to use Google voice input? I have a very strong Australian accent, and Android (Google, etc) has no problem with my true-blue accent.

Finally, Apple mapping software was recognized as being extremely poor and inaccurate when it was first released. Is this still the case. My Samsung Galaxy s6 has 3 directional mapping electronics: A-GPS and two communist GPS systems. Apple is missing the China-GPS system. Does this make a difference?

My problems with Apple have nothing to do with IOS or the hardware. They have to do with the way Apple handles the iTunes store. You are required to just have a credit card tied to the account just to even update the apps you already own. I refuse to allow that for my childrens phones. They get pre-paid cards to buy things with since Apple will not police "in-app purchasing" and Apple doesn't like that. Its a ridiculous requirement.

Android does not have that limitation and I can let my kids do what they want and I have the confidence that nothing is going to sneak up on me in the credit card bill.

All the Apple devices in my house are tied to my account. Nothing gets bought without my password and that I don't know about it, unless my wife or I say so.

All the Apple devices in my house are tied to my account. Nothing gets bought without my password and that I don't know about it, unless my wife or I say so.
Thats how my wife and I first tried to fix the issue but the in-app purchases were then open for business and shortly after there would be a "surprise" on my bill.

Google Play store just doesn't have these limitations. I can let me kids be kids because the only time there is money on the pre-paid card is if I give it to them.

Apple really needs to fix this.

Back