TechSpot

TY for welcome, boot-boot-and reboot! no safe mode.

By sd_muma
Jan 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boot-reboot-no safe mode. Virus?

Living in San Diego with hubby and Jack Russell Terrorist named Clyde. Have worked with computers since the early 1990s. I had just received an e-mail from MSN, my virus scan started up, everything froze. After 10 minutes I finally had to hard boot. Now I cannot boot into any form of safe mode, and XP Professional's system restore will not work except to advise me that a format of the hard drive is next.

I have been using Zone Alarm Pro Security Suite with their anti virus. It was just updated yesterday. I back up my class work weekly, and this is Friday. So I will be losing this week's work!

Help!

sd_muma :(
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Welcome to TechSpot

My best suggestion would be to take the harddisk out and put it (with jumpers set as SLAVE) in another PC, that has a good Antivirus program installed.
    Ask that person to go here How to remove Begin2Search / Coolwebsearch and install the programs mentioned in that post on his/her PC before you put that HD in.
    That person should also make an image of his/her PC before starting work on your HD.
    Then try this first: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ (McAfee's online scanner).
    Then follow the instructions in my thread.
  3. sd_muma

sd_muma TS Rookie Topic Starter

My day is decided (prep)

Have begun the preparations. Guess I know what I will be doing all day! Thank you. At least your instructions make sense to me. I had just two days ago dl'd Microsoft's new beta spy sleuth. I have a feeling that is what caused this nightmare. Have removed it from other computers. What do you think?

Thanks again!
  4. sd_muma

sd_muma TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ah, relief!

Re :bounce: porting every A-OK. I have an external drive that failed, which I had converted another biggie drive into. I removed my errant drive, put it in the external case, and booted it to my hubby's computer. Chk dsk took over, cleaned it up.

I then did all the wonderful things you suggested. it works great!

Thanks!
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Delighted you got it sorted.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.