TY for welcome, boot-boot-and reboot! no safe mode.

By sd_muma
Jan 14, 2005
  1. boot-reboot-no safe mode. Virus?

Living in San Diego with hubby and Jack Russell Terrorist named Clyde. Have worked with computers since the early 1990s. I had just received an e-mail from MSN, my virus scan started up, everything froze. After 10 minutes I finally had to hard boot. Now I cannot boot into any form of safe mode, and XP Professional's system restore will not work except to advise me that a format of the hard drive is next.

I have been using Zone Alarm Pro Security Suite with their anti virus. It was just updated yesterday. I back up my class work weekly, and this is Friday. So I will be losing this week's work!

sd_muma :(
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Welcome to TechSpot

My best suggestion would be to take the harddisk out and put it (with jumpers set as SLAVE) in another PC, that has a good Antivirus program installed.
    Ask that person to go here How to remove Begin2Search / Coolwebsearch and install the programs mentioned in that post on his/her PC before you put that HD in.
    That person should also make an image of his/her PC before starting work on your HD.
    Then try this first: (McAfee's online scanner).
    Then follow the instructions in my thread.
  3. sd_muma

sd_muma TS Rookie Topic Starter

My day is decided (prep)

Have begun the preparations. Guess I know what I will be doing all day! Thank you. At least your instructions make sense to me. I had just two days ago dl'd Microsoft's new beta spy sleuth. I have a feeling that is what caused this nightmare. Have removed it from other computers. What do you think?

Thanks again!
  4. sd_muma

sd_muma TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ah, relief!

Re :bounce: porting every A-OK. I have an external drive that failed, which I had converted another biggie drive into. I removed my errant drive, put it in the external case, and booted it to my hubby's computer. Chk dsk took over, cleaned it up.

I then did all the wonderful things you suggested. it works great!

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Delighted you got it sorted.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.