Types of external enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks,
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. A while ago my laptop died and over time I phased it out with a new one. I still have the old one but I want to get to the guts of that thing and take out the hard drive. I got an external case for it, removed it from the notebook, but it doesn't fit the case.

When I went to the store they asked me what type of hard drive. I know its a 2.5 and and a VAIO but thats where my knowledge stops.

What are the types of hard drives? ATA and something else...

The guy told me that the case I was holding would be fine. Contrary to popular belief it wasn't at least I don't think. Size of the case itself is fine but the components to the hard drive aren't compatible to it. like screw holes and there is the tape with wires running thought it that has no place to go. Also the connections do not meet up.

Should I get a new case for the "other" type of hard drive, or is this sony doing what it does best and making other 3rd party products obsolete?
Or is it the just the case manufacturer?

Thanks for reading

First, are you sure you don't have some enclosure around that hard drive? Some laptops use an additional tray for their hard drives and you have to remove that too.

There are two kinds of 2.5" hard drives - ATA and SATA. An ATA drive would have some 40 pins where a ribbon cable can connect. A SATA drive would have a smaller L shaped connector.

I looked again at the drive itself. There isn't much more to remove, I'm down to the warranty sticker. I will try an SATA enclosure. If they have that "L" shaped wire your talking about I think thats what I need. There is definitely a wire coming out of this thing.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back