U.S Midterm Elections?

T

tifc8lraz

I was just wondering what people thought of the possible chance that the democrats might take the house of representatives. Do you think it's possible? And anyone here not from the U.S, who do you think will run the office in 2008? Please, no arguing, this thread is for civilized, mature induviduals...

I think Democrats will take the house and the senate. People are tired of nothing getting done with republicans in office, and their is corruption all over. I also think that republican strategies like setting saddams verdict 2 days before the election, and lowering gas prices before the election will only hurt the republicans, because people realize the only time anything ever gets done is when is come election time. I also have to say that i hope that Barrack Obama runs for president in 08' and wins. I truly think that he will turn the world in a different direction (positive).

cfitzarl said:
Please, no arguing, this thread is for civilized, mature induviduals...

I totally agree with those sentiments mate.

However, political threads have a nasty habit of turning into flame wars around here.

I really hope this doesn`t happen in this thread.

If it does, it`ll be closed very quickly. ;)

Regards Howard :)

twite said:
People are tired of nothing getting done with republicans in office, and their is corruption all over. I also think that republican strategies like setting saddams verdict 2 days before the election, and lowering gas prices before the election will only hurt the republicans

When I opened this thread I said there shall be no "name calling" in broad terms. Please, I don't want Howard to close this thread, so if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all! The point of this thread is to find out who people think will go into office, and not their personal opinion on why. Thank you.

No problem..although i don't see were i called anyone a name. I wasn't trying to give my personal opinion, i was just trying to back up my answer. But I see were i might have gone to far, and i apologize.

Tough race here guys.
They say that republicans and democrates have very close poll numbers.
Just need to wait and see.
I heard that once, with these poll numbers, the republicans took over the house and senate.
Maybe this time, it'll be the other way areound.

Dems got the House.
Repubs kept the Senate.

Virginia has a close Senate run so they are going to recount that I think. Results not expected until Nov. 27th at the earliest, last time they recounted it was middle of December before anyone knew. Why it takes so long to recount I have no idea.

So now chances are high that anything Bush wants passed won't get passed, and anything the House tries to pass Bush will veto, leading to 2 years of nothing getting done. Hooray for partisan politics!

I think with bush's approval rating at 34%, he is in a situation were he has to work with the dems. Anything less well put an even larger weight on the republicans in the 08 elections. The news is saying that the dems basically have the senate. But after seeing the fraud that happened in Floridain 00', you never know

twite said:
I think with bush's approval rating at 34%, he is in a situation were he has to work with the dems. Anything less well put an even larger weight on the republicans in the 08 elections. The news is saying that the dems basically have the senate. But after seeing the fraud that happened in Floridain 00', you never know

I completely agree. I just want to clarify that I am an independent, so I am not going with one side. George Bush will be forced to work with the Democrats, which I'm sure he doesn't like. At least the Democrats took over at leas one of the three branches, and maybe two, which will make them in control of 66% of the country, right?

Well, they will be in 100% control over the legislative branch, or the congress, composed of the senate and the house. There are 3 branches total, the legislative, executive, and judical. Yesterdays elections were for the legislative branch. I wouldn't quite say they are in control of the country because you still have your local governers, mayors, ect..but as far as nationaly, i would say yes, they have a pretty good presence.

One good thing came out of it today. No more Rumsfeld.....even though I know I wouldn't want his job but when you can no longer do your job effectiently and effectively then you need to step down. When your policies put lives on the line, you better know what the hell you are doing.

We got rid of Rummy now the democrats need to get rid of the big dummy.

I am a registered Republican and I voted totally Democratically this election... I am also tired of a "do nothing" period in our government by people I voted for, and good riddance to Rumsfeld... Let it be someone elses turn

It is good to know that their is people like you. There are so many narrow minded people that only vote democrat, or only vote republican, and don't even want to hear what the other party has to say. There truly shouldn't be any parties, i guarantee if it was everyman for himself, their would democrats voting for what would be republicans, and republicans voting for what would be democrats. It is only the title "democrat" or "republican" that truly decide for what the majority of people vote for. Its a shame.

twite said:
It is good to know that their is people like you. There are so many narrow minded people that only vote democrat, or only vote republican, and don't even want to hear what the other party has to say. There truly shouldn't be any parties, i guarantee if it was everyman for himself, their would democrats voting for what would be republicans, and republicans voting for what would be democrats. It is only the title "democrat" or "republican" that truly decide for what the majority of people vote for. Its a shame.

So true Twite,
I was one of the "narrow minded" people for a long time... I finally saw the light. I know that the longer a Senator or any politition for that matter, stays in office, the more corrupt he becomes. The tendancy to become lazy and self-absorbed is seen too. Our Senator Conrad Burns was one of these individules. He was defeated finally

While I am a registered Democrat, I will easily vote republican, but not in this election. I am glad the Dems got the house, it will help slow the amount of bill passed, many of which pass with no contest. The power GWB was accumulating was beginning to worry me.

cfitzarl said:
I just want to clarify that I am an independent, so I am not going with one side. George Bush will be forced to work with the Democrats, which I'm sure he doesn't like.
I'm registered Independent too.

Sure Bush will be forced to work with Dems, he did before too, just now there are more of them. But like I said things aren't going to get done now. But it will end the frequency of things getting passed because of the Repub majority.

The Dems taking back the majority shouldn't be a suprise though, it typically happens after 6 years.

Aside from the Middle East issues most other things are going well in the US, economy is good, unemployment is at the lowest its been in a long time, and some other good things. Hopefully those continue to do well in the upcoming years.

I couldn't really agree that things are going well, the U.S. is like a trillion dollars in debt, and we have 3 countries that want to destroy us, we have crappy health care, the ozone layer has a hole in it the size of north america, the polar ice caps are melting, and we have senators molesting little boys over the internet.

twite said:
I couldn't really agree that things are going well, the U.S. is like a trillion dollars in debt, and we have 3 countries that want to destroy us, we have crappy health care, the ozone layer has a hole in it the size of north america, the polar ice caps are melting, and we have senators molesting little boys over the internet.

There are more then 3 countries, I can tell you that much.

You can focus on the bad issues for the rest of your life, too many to handle in a life time, they do need to be addressed and corrected but people need to start talking about the achievements people have accomplished here or anywhere else in the world.

All you ever read about in the news/CNN or newspaper is all the crap that is happening. But its a rare occasion that something positive happens.

What i meant was not only do they want to destroy us, but they also are very capable of doing so. Although i do agree with you smore, the unfortunate thing is that politics are not letting us focus on, or generate positive things. It seems that everything that comes out of politics, ultimately is negative, because it always turns into some sort of disagreement. For example, stem cell research. Yeh, its a great thing for people that could benefit from it. Just the other day a British scientist restored vision in mice with a stem cell transplant, one of the largest breakthroughs in immaculate degeneration ever, and of course that would be a wonderful thing for all the visually impaired people, but the moment you say "stem cell" their is about 5 million conservatives pulling there guns out ready to shoot someone in the face. The only way anything is ever going to get done is if people put their political and religious beliefs aside, and let people do what is good for them.

What I have noticed in the past presidency is the fact that there has been a lot of corruption (Skooter Libby, Mark Foley, and a million other politicians). I have a feeling that the next president will pretty much take the whole senate and gut it out to start fresh.

cfitzarl said:
What I have noticed in the past presidency is the fact that there has been a lot of corruption (Skooter Libby, Mark Foley, and a million other politicians). I have a feeling that the next president will pretty much take the whole senate and gut it out to start fresh.

We will have to wait and see but I am not going to hold my breath

Back