Ubuntu Bash, Cortana cross-device features come to latest Windows 10 Insider Preview

Scorpus

Staff member

One of the biggest updates to the Windows 10 Insider Preview in some time is here, with Microsoft releasing build 14316 to the Fast ring complete with a ton of new features and improvements that the company announced at Build 2016.

The ability to run Ubuntu's Bash shell on Windows is the first major feature to be included in build 14316. To enable this feature, you have to turn on Developer Mode in the Update section of the settings screen, then you have to enable Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta) by searching for "Turn Windows features on or off". From there, typing 'bash' into a command prompt window will download and install the shell.

Cross-device features are available through Cortana in this build as well. If you have a Windows Phone or Android device with the latest Cortana app installed, you'll be able to locate your smartphone if it's lost, share map directions between devices, and get notifications when your phone's battery is low. It doesn't appear as if Microsoft has included full support for phone notifications in Windows 10, but that's still set to come in a future build.

Microsoft has included two new Edge extensions in this build – Pin It Button and OneNote Clipper – and updated several others. There's also a preview version of the Skype Universal app to try out, the inclusion of the dark theme, and an updated set of emoji to enjoy.

If you're signed up to the Windows 10 Insider Preview program, this is definitely an update you'll want to check out. As mentioned above, you'll need to be on the Fast ring to get this update pushed to your device, but it should be well worth it even if there are a few lingering bugs and issues.

Permalink to story.

"even if there are a few lingering bugs and issues" Win10 actually works pretty well considering the multitude of different hardware it has to work on and the many shoddy drivers it must contend with, I simply wish all companies would invest a little more in the software rather than the current never ending stream of updates, patches, new driver releases with an extensive list of known problems....

I'm pretty excited about Bash on Windows 10... I saw a demo of it and it's spot on, looking better than any emulator I've used

Back