Ubuntu Edge smartphone not likely to meet crowdfunding goal

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ubuntu smartphone

Canonical’s recent Indiegogo campaign to fund the development of an Ubuntu-based smartphone got off to a great start as it managed to raise $3.45 million from donors within the first 24 hours. Since then, however, progress has slowed to a snail’s pace and it looks unlikely that the project will meet its goal of $32 million.

At present, the company has raised $8.3 million. That’s an impressive amount of money that would have most project creators jumping for joy but with such an ambitious funding goal, it only amounts to just over 25 percent of what is needed.

The plan is to build an Ubuntu smartphone from the ground up with hardware designed to work specifically with the Linux operating system. If built, the Edge would feature a 4.5-inch display that focuses on color accuracy and dynamic range, 4GB of RAM, 128GB of storage and the fastest mobile CPU available at the time.

Looking ahead, the campaign would need to pull in more than $1.5 million per day over the next 15 days for the Edge to ultimately become a reality. If it is unable to meet the $32 million goal by the end of the day on August 21, the campaign will shut down and money will be returned to the project’s backers.

It’s all a bit ironic really as the Ubuntu Edge has a solid chance at becoming the highest-funded campaign of all time while at the same time failing to reach its goal. A last-minute push isn’t out of the question as many campaigns have had success with this strategy but with so much ground to cover in such a short amount of time, it seems unlikely.

Permalink to story.

Whats the big idea?

Everything that run android is already linux, why do you want to fragment things even more?! Who's going to bother coding apps for a ubuntu only market when you have the massive android market already established.

What happen with the money colected if they don't reach the goal?.

Whats the big idea?

Everything that run android is already linux, why do you want to fragment things even more?! Who's going to bother coding apps for a ubuntu only market when you have the massive android market already established.

Linux may be the backbone of Android, but that doesn't mean that Android IS Linux. The fragmentation issue seems to be one of the issues that a mobile Ubuntu system could easily address. I think this project was intended to fit into the new Ubuntu multi-platform strategy... The idea was that any program built for Ubuntu would work on phone, tablet, PC - kinda like Microsoft seemed to want to do with the whole WIndows Phone / Surface / Win8 / RT thing, but failed miserably and just ended up fragmenting themselves. This phone specifically built for the Ubuntu operating system would have been a great toe-hold into making that concept a reality, I suppose.

Did you even read it?

"If it is unable to meet the $32 million goal by the end of the day on August 21, the campaign will shut down and money will be returned to the project’s backers."co

This was doomed from the start. It was a cool idea, but that's all it was. Shuttleworth can't even steal marketshare from OSX with his desktop OS, so now I'm wondering who told him he could take on MS, Google, and Apple in a mobile market he has no place being?

Why make another failphone when there are already hundreds of android phones, just hack those and port os

Whats the big idea?

"Everything that run android is already linux, why do you want to fragment things even more?! Who's going to bother coding apps for a ubuntu only market when you have the massive android market already established."

You don't code for one market. With Qt 5 you can do the coding once, and then compile the code to different platforms. Beside Ubuntu Edge also runs Android as well as a full desktop version when conected to a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

This was doomed from the start. It was a cool idea, but that's all it was. Shuttleworth can't even steal marketshare from OSX with his desktop OS, so now I'm wondering who told him he could take on MS, Google, and Apple in a mobile market he has no place being?

Canonical are not trying to get into the hardware industry. Ubuntu Edge is a product ment to drive innovation, and to get hardware vendors on board.

Canonical are not trying to get into the hardware industry. Ubuntu Edge is a product ment to drive innovation, and to get hardware vendors on board.

So I mention Ubuntu vs OSX (software), and Shuttleworth trying to get in the mobile space (software and hardware), and you thought my beef was with the hardware? Um.. ok. You go with that, and I'll go with what I actually said.

Back