Ubuntu Multi Screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

Hi everyone, I have a Ubuntu Linux system and I have just ordered a pci graphics card. However, I am wondering if Ubuntu has support for multi-desktops. Does it? How do you configure it?

If it wont work, I can always use the card on my Windows computer....

--Daniel L

Unlike Windows, the X windowing system (or unix in general) has been designed from ground up to be used with multiple everything, including multiple video devices, multiple monitors, multiple screens, multiple input devices, multiple computers, multiple users..

With two separate video cards, you probably want to look into setting up Xinerama since a normal dual-display setup won't let you use applications across the displays.

Thanks.

And is their a way to show different workspaces on the different screens?

Thanks Again...

--Daniel L

With Xinerama you will have workspaces spanning the screens. You can still set up two sets of panels if you like and programs will maximise to a single screen (you can make them span too of course).

Without Xinerama, you will have completely independent desktops (including workspaces). The independence means that you cannot move applications between the desktops or span them across two monitors. It's annoying, but may be very effective depending on your habits - 8 workspaces with 2 visible in various combinations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back