TechSpot

UK firm claims patents on Internet downloading

By Didou
Jun 21, 2004
  2. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

If the patent office is allowing patents for something that obvious they should be shut down. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in my entire life.

3. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 536

The patent offices don't just care as long as they get paid. As a lot of people / organizations do.

4. acidosmosis

In that case I am going to patent walking, running, stomping, hopping, skipping, breathing, buying, selling, standing still, nose picking, ear picking, coughing, sneezing and every other action possible.

I am going to be rich just like Microsoft!

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Topic Starter Posts: 4,274

Well that is one part of the answer. The other problem is, the US patent office is constantly complaining about a budget way too tight. They have about 3000 patent inspectors & have about 100.000 new patents to validate every year.

It's no wonder they don't have too much time to spend on each patent & sometimes ridiculous patents go through.:rolleyes:

6. acidosmosis

They also have 52 weeks a year in which to look at those patents.

7. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Topic Starter Posts: 4,274

It's not something you do in a day or two. Actually, it is not something you should do in a day or two but that's what these people end up doing.

Patents go through different drafts, you have to make sure they don't infrige on previous patents, you have to make sure there aren't specific laws in places prohibiting this specific patent, you have to make sure it's not too general so that it doesn't block innovation, etc.

8. acidosmosis

That is a lot of research in a few days then. They must use AIM a lot.

9. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

personally, if I was in the business of technology, with a patent on downloding updates, I'd keep it very quiet for a long time untill it was something that was used a lot. Then I might suggest that I deserve damages for peoples infringement on my patented rights.

Just a guess though.

10. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 482

I'm gonna patent sarcasm ;)

11. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

lmao

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.