UK police arrest man in connection with Christmas Day DDoS attacks on PlayStation Network, Xbox Live

Shawn Knight

Staff member

lizard squad playstation xbox sony microsoft fbi ddos xbox live gaming hacking playstation network gaming console hackers serocu swatting

Law enforcement officials in the UK, in cooperation with the FBI, have arrested an 18-year-old man in connection with DDoS attacks that took down Sony’s PlayStation Network and Microsoft’s Xbox Live service on Christmas Day.

Officers from the South East Regional Organized Crime Unit (SEROCU) Cyber Crime Unit arrested the man on suspicion of unauthorized access to computer material contrary to section 1 of Computer Misuse Act 1990, unauthorized access with intent to commit further offences contrary to section 2 of Computer Misuse Act 1990 and threats to kill contrary to Section 16 of Offences against the person Act 1861.

A number of electronic and digital devices were seized to be examined by SEROCU’s Cyber Crime Forensic and eForensics Unit.

It’s unclear if the teen was a member of the Lizard Squad but given the nature of the attacks, such conclusion seems probable.

A DDoS attack on Microsoft and Sony’s networks would prove problematic at any time but especially so on Christmas Day when potentially hundreds of thousands of people were taking ownership of their new consoles.

In addition to the hacking charges, the man was also accused of swatting, an act in which someone provides false information to police regarding a non-existent threat that results in police responding with tactical units. As noted in the SEROCU report, making false threats drains law enforcement resources and can cause distress or physical injury to first responders or victims.

Permalink to story.

I am not a tough guy or anything and I understand this is a full on investigation; but if a SWAT team busts into my house with nothing more then tapped info they got from the FBI, they will be met with deadly force.

I am not joking.

I am not a tough guy or anything and I understand this is a full on investigation; but if a SWAT team busts into my house with nothing more then tapped info they got from the FBI, they will be met with deadly force.

I am not joking.

You say that but in front of a gun you will stand down. Either that of you'll be dead in a blink of an eye. If you resisted, they can take your family into custody and put them through questioning. In the end the only ones who lose out are your and your family.

I am not joking.

It's your choice whether or not to exercise deadly force. But don't have any confusions over the fact that SWAT will complete the application of deadly force if necessary. A wise man would cooperate with SWAT and resist the questioning of a lawyer.

I am not joking.

That is like calling Chuck Norris *****. And I'm not joking either.

Back on topic, nice way to start your life at IT being 18 year old with a police record, you sir are a genius!

I am not joking.

You raise a weapon to an officer, especially to a unit that is specifically trained in urban tactics, you'll be lit up before your next blink. Then they'll start looking for reasons why a supposedly 'innocent' man decided to knowingly fire at the police. As a prior user posted, that's when things get interesting for your family.

I am not joking.

This is probably the dumbest AND funniest comment I've seen in quite some time. It makes me wonder if it's just a troll attempt. I hope that's not the case! I wish more people thought like this guy. If the police break down your door (for whatever reason) be sure to start firing your guns at them. I love these guys who think they have the right to kill anything that crosses an imaginary boundary called the property line. :)

If the police break down your door (for whatever reason) be sure to start firing your guns at them.

If you have a death wish just go into a police department waving a gun around and save a lot of time and resources and get it done with already.

umbala said:
love these guys who think they have the right to kill anything that crosses an imaginary boundary called the property line. :)
I don't believe in imaginary lines and laws are nothing more then rules on paper that get broke, bent and ignored everyday. Also, I don't believe I have a right to kill anything and I understand the land I COMPLETELY own and have paid for 100% is still not mine.

Police, various agencies and governing bodies don't abide by the same laws or boundaries they force on us (which of the bazillion articles do you want me to link?); and if they break into my home for no reason I won't abide by them either.

BTW, I know I am being very extreme, lol, but this type of thing gets me going.

Last edited:

I am not joking.

Have fun being dead then.

Back to the topic, what a shock - a SHOCK I tell you - that it's some 18 year old kid who thinks he's wielding some super power from his Mom's basement via his computer because he doesn't have any real life friends and girls shun his uber geek.

Yep, that's right, stand up for your right to bear arms and protect yourself in your own home and you will shorten your lifespan. Although this was in the UK not the US, I'm talking about the US and don't have a clue what the laws are in the UK.

Besides do we even know they didn't knock first? I didn't read anything in this article about the authorities rushing in for the arrest. I know I watch allot of movies but wouldn't that only happen, if there was an attempt at resisting arrest?

I am not joking.
It sound like you play way too many games. You can pull that kind of stunt in a GTA game but in real life? Yeah, I'll leave it at that.

I am not joking.

The only one who will end up dead is you because of the stupidity of trying to take on a Swat Team by yourself. They have bullet proof vests and every weapon imaginable and what do you have? If some how you manage to survive you will end up in prison for firing on Law Enfocement. Genius!

I am not joking.

How would you know if they had a reason or not, until they showed you their warrant?

That said, I think I understand where you're coming from. In the middle of the night, or early in the morning when I'm still in a sleepy fog, if I hear someone breaking into my home, I'm going for my gun. Even if they yell "Police!", in that barely conscious state of mind there is a good chance I wouldn't understand what they were saying, and there is an equally good chance that I'd get shot/killed. This happens all too often in America with no knock raids on the wrong home based on bad info from confidential informants.

I am not joking.
FWIW, that's known as "suicide by cop".

"That said, I think I understand where you're coming from. In the middle of the night, or early in the morning when I'm still in a sleepy fog, if I hear someone breaking into my home, I'm going for my gun. Even if they yell "Police!", in that barely conscious state of mind there is a good chance I wouldn't understand what they were saying, and there is an equally good chance that I'd get shot/killed. This happens all too often in America with no knock raids on the wrong home based on bad info from confidential informants."

I'm still in a groggy state where I cannot see or hear properly, better grab the deadly weapon to investigate the bump I THINK I heard.
Ohhh America and their guns...

"That said, I think I understand where you're coming from. In the middle of the night, or early in the morning when I'm still in a sleepy fog, if I hear someone breaking into my home, I'm going for my gun. Even if they yell "Police!", in that barely conscious state of mind there is a good chance I wouldn't understand what they were saying, and there is an equally good chance that I'd get shot/killed. This happens all too often in America with no knock raids on the wrong home based on bad info from confidential informants."

I'm still in a groggy state where I cannot see or hear properly, better grab the deadly weapon to investigate the bump I THINK I heard.
Ohhh America and their guns...
The sad and ugly fact is, you could get shot to death by picking up your phone to call the police, or your lawyer.

After all, doesn't any version of the iPhone look like a gun?

I am not joking.

I almost choked on my Breakfast reading this, yet another keyboard warrior, I bet your level of XP would rocket should you pull off this amazing feat

You people are pansies for not standing up for your own rights. Have fun, if it's a robber claiming they are police and busting down your door, you'r going to get shot ether way so best arm yourself's if your country lets you.

You people are pansies for not standing up for your own rights. Have fun, if it's a robber claiming they are police and busting down your door, you'r going to get shot ether way so best arm yourself's if your country lets you.
What? Thats crazy. The world is like a Disney movie where the good guys always win and mafia gangs, yakuza militants and the other 100 thousand groups full of rotten cops, spy's and whatever else always get caught. :rolleyes:
Go to your 9-5 John Smith, come home and pretend everything is ok, all enforcing agencies employ good, honest people and the world works the same way your nice little protected soccer mom life does.

What? Thats crazy. The world is like a Disney movie where the good guys always win and mafia gangs, yakuza militants and the other 100 thousand groups full of rotten cops, spy's and whatever else always get caught. :rolleyes:
Go to your 9-5 John Smith, come home and pretend everything is ok, all enforcing agencies employ good, honest people and the world works the same way your nice little protected soccer mom life does.

Thats YOUR problem, how you feel or how I could feel changes nothing in how things work. Why bother?? If you have a death wish go ahead!

Back