UK retailer charging people $18 to try the PlayStation VR

midian182

Staff member

It’s common knowledge that virtual reality headsets aren’t for everyone. Not only can they make some people feel nauseated, but there are those who just don’t like VR games.

Considering the price of these devices, expecting stores to allow consumers to “try before they buy” isn’t unreasonable. But how would you feel if somewhere charged you to test drive the PlayStation VR? That’s exactly what one UK game retailer is doing, and people aren’t happy about it.

One of the country’s most popular chain of video game stores, Game, has implemented an audacious pricing system for those who want to try Sony’s headset. A ten-minute demonstration will cost just over $6, twenty minutes is around $12.22, and half an hour, which should give someone a good idea of whether they want to buy the device, costs roughly $18.34.

Game points out that if you’re so impressed by the PlayStation VR and wish to buy one straight after your expensive demonstration, the money you've spent will be taken off the headset’s deposit price. The company didn't say if it expects buyers to thank them for this generosity.

While there have been questions raised over the legality of this policy, Sony said charging for PlayStation VR demos was “at the discretion” of the retailer. Surprisingly, rather than welcoming the chance to spend money on trying out a product, the public’s reaction has been less than positive.

Charging to try the headset does make Game look incredibly greedy, and it’s certainly a win-win situation for the retailer. Hopefully, the publicity will cause it to change this policy.

The PlayStation VR has been praised by the majority of critics - it was one of our "Picks of IFA." The headset is out of stock in many UK stores, causing the price to skyrocket. Game is selling the device via a third-party for £499.95 ($610), while trade-in stores are offering second-hand systems for a slightly cheaper price ($549), which is still way above the RRP.

Permalink to story.

Most people don't see what the underlying purpose of this is. 1) It is to prevent the constant babysitting of kids by a full time staff member 2) It's to prevent time wasters who have no actual interest in it but just want to see what the fuss is about. 3) It is to prevent (by supervision) possible product damage.

Last edited:
Most people don't see what the underlying purpose of this is. 1) It is to prevent the constant babysitting of kids by a full time staff member...
Sure, it's super simple, you have to make an appointment to use it and only for 15 minutes max.

2)...It's to prevent time wasters who have no actual interest in it but just want to see what the fuss is about...
That being the case, let's close all stores and ask the customers to make a small deposit, we certainly do not want to have our staff attending nose-picking attendants who don't purchase anything!

...3) It is to prevent (by supervision) possible product damage.
You do know if something gets damaged they simply return it to the provider, pretty much no questions asked.

Only people serious about buying it will be interested. I bet, if someone buys it, the fee was forgiven.
You do realize that people that are looking into this are probably going to go other stores to try it out or to purchase because they are behaving like a-holes, awesome marketing scheme... I'm super certain that a mid-management dude came up with it.

Sure, it's super simple, you have to make an appointment to use it and only for 15 minutes max.

That being the case, let's close all stores and ask the customers to make a small deposit, we certainly do not want to have our staff attending nose-picking attendants who don't purchase anything!

You do know if something gets damaged they simply return it to the provider, pretty much no questions asked.

You do realize that people that are looking into this are probably going to go other stores to try it out or to purchase because they are behaving like a-holes, awesome marketing scheme... I'm super certain that a mid-management dude came up with it.
1) Why? It enables the same thing... kids wasting stores time.
2) No.
3) Don't like it? Too bad, don't shop there.

You have your way, they have theirs. Don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it.

Game are known for being a bunch of greedy *****.

IIRC, they went into receivership a few years ago and any and all vouchers/store credit was deemed lowest priority (after the creditors got their pound of flesh).

Not surprised at game doing this, they would charge you for queuing at the checkout till if they could and cex charge so much for used tech you may as well go and buy it brand new from somewhere else instead. Last year I spotted an old 8800gt in the window with a £180 price tag and yet if I took one in to sell they would only give a tenner for it at most.

1) Why? It enables the same thing... kids wasting stores time.
2) No.
3) Don't like it? Too bad, don't shop there.

You have your way, they have theirs. Don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it.
Why not? Following your "logic" that is perfectly reasonable for points 2 and 3, also 3 was about returns, you do not follow a lot of your logic in replies do you.

I certainly do not like it and I will certainly not accept such "logic" practices (I bet you we can find a whole load of synonyms) and I'm standing by that by not getting in such a hassle. The only way I can see someone approving of this is they being either the owner, the middle management that thought of such genius idea or a family member lol.

Let's close the malls doors, why have all those people just roaming around, such a waste in guards, electricity and cleaning people... most of them just walk through, go get on the streets you little punks!!!

Well, frankly speaking, not knowing how one is going to react to it I would gladly shell out the $20 to find out if I was going to have fun or just puke my guts up. I wish I would have had the same option before I took that course in acrobatic flight back in the 90's .... I'll bet that poor instructor is still trying to get the smell out of that Acrobat!

VR already has quite the cash barrier, Adding another one just to even try it out is completely stupid.

I understand stopping kids from damaging it but it's not hard to just regulate the people trying it on. Apple stores have managed, PC World has managed, I'm sure Game can manage too!

I'm baffled with how many people actually support said system... yes I understand how cool it would be to try it out before, but having to "rent" it by the minute sounds like too much. Like someone said already, Apple has managed, PC World has managed, hell the Microsoft store has managed, Sony stores do to (And I can only assume with all the hardware they leave out for trying it out that they will have VR too), hell, even in the retail stores there has always been a playstation or nintendo or xbox out somewhere to try them out, even smartphones nowadays.

This is just an attempt to milk something out unnecessary.

Why not? Following your "logic" that is perfectly reasonable for points 2 and 3, also 3 was about returns, you do not follow a lot of your logic in replies do you.

I certainly do not like it and I will certainly not accept such "logic" practices (I bet you we can find a whole load of synonyms) and I'm standing by that by not getting in such a hassle. The only way I can see someone approving of this is they being either the owner, the middle management that thought of such genius idea or a family member lol.

Let's close the malls doors, why have all those people just roaming around, such a waste in guards, electricity and cleaning people... most of them just walk through, go get on the streets you little punks!!!

You have no choice but to accept it. It is their business and they can run it as they see fit. Like I said, if you don't like it, too bad for you. Go try and tell them they have to change it, come back and tell us how far you got. lol

Shopping at a mall is not equivalent to a dedicated VR demo. If you feel they are, there is not amount of explaining that can make you understand.

Back