Ultra-high-end Surface Book, Surface Pro 4 models now available

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft hit a home run in the hardware department with its Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book. Unveiled in early October, the devices were offered in multiple configurations although the ultra-high-end models weren't yet ready.

Now, three and a half months later, their time has come.

The top-end Surface Pro 4 packs a sixth generation Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and a 1TB solid state drive for $2,699. Similarly, the new high-end Surface Book features an Intel Core i7 Skylake processor, 16GB of RAM, a 1TB SSD and an Nvidia GeForce GPU for $3,199.

Neither configuration is easy on the wallet but that's to be expected when you max out all options.

Microsoft says the high-end Surface Pro 4 will be available in Microsoft stores and through select retailers while the top-of-the-line Surface Book can only be had online via Microsoft's store and select retailers. Both are on sale now in Canada and the US; no word yet on when they'll be offered in other regions.

Microsoft is also launching a new gold-colored Surface Pen today. Color aside, it's functionally identical to the standard Surface Pen and includes Microsoft's Pen Tip Kit (a $10 value). Expect to pay $59.99 for the golden accessory in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United States.

Permalink to story.

I love my Surface Pro 4, but I never seem to detach the keyboard, and the pen gathers dust on the shelf.

Unless you're doing graphics work, I'm not sure what you are meant to use the pen for - writing in one note and on web pages just doesn't do it for me, and I'd rather use the track-pad or my finger for general clicking around. I do wonder why they bundle it with the device?

Back