Unable to boot from CD, DVD, or USB device. Any alternatives??

Status
Not open for further replies.

imekul

Hey guys,

I have a weird problem with my Tecra A4-S211 laptop. Simply put, I can no longer boot from any kind of bootable CD or DVD, even when the BIOS boot order has the CD-ROM listed before the HD. In Windows, the discs are read just fine, with no problem whatsoever.

This has worked previously, but I have since swapped out the original DVD/CD-RW combo with a DVD burner (identified as Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S in Device Manager).

Anyway, it seems like there's no way to get a bootable disc to work in the standard way. I have thought about alternate ways to boot, such as making a bootable USB flash drive, but I've learned that the BIOS does not support USB devices... ugh.

So, I need some wisdom! How can I boot from a CD or DVD when I can't use a bootable disc or a bootable USB drive? My ultimate goal is to run BackTrack, and I don't care if it's from a CD, DVD, or USB drive.

Any ideas on how I can get this done? One thing I thought of was perhaps finding a way to edit the boot loader and adding some sort of option to boot from a disc, although I'm not entirely sure how I could go about this.

Anyway, I would appreciate any input that you might have! This is a really bizarre problem, and I just can't think of how to get around these issues.

Thanks!

I've had computers like this, either:

Set bios to Cdrom Cdrom Cdrom
Update the bios
Try different CD's that are known bootable (ideally original)
Use a cleaning disc in the drive
Use an external CD Drive (with USB driver support)
Use a boot floppy to load drivers to run the CD
Replace the internal CD drive !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back