Unable to change XP's Power Options - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition and have lost all ability to change my power options / power schemes. When I go to control panel - Power Options Properties the drop down box under Power Schemes just shows 'blank' as well as the I cannot access any settings under the next heading 'Unknown' ie When computer is: Plugged in ... Running on Batteries.

Any ideas on how I could reinstall this or fix the problem would be greatly appreciated!

James

PS This feature was working on my notebook for 2 years.

Maybe doing a repair install of Windows will help.

Instructions for this can be found HERE

Regards Howard :)

BTW Hello gillscott and welcome to Techspot. :wave: :wave:

Gillscott

Howard thansk I'll try at the weekend.
The PC has also started to cut out but not shut down. ie lights are on but monitor off and cant be started without switching off power.

Had a virus warning last week but Macafee said it had dealt with it.
PC only six months old

gillscott said:
Howard thansk I'll try at the weekend.
The PC has also started to cut out but not shut down. ie lights are on but monitor off and cant be started without switching off power.

Had a virus warning last week but Macafee said it had dealt with it.
PC only six months old

Please go HERE and read my post. This is because we need your full system specs.

Once you have run the repair, let us know how you get on.

If you are still having problems, we will have to think of something else for you.

Gill Scott computer failure

Howard

Spec for the computer is online and when I go online with AOL broadband the screen dies.
Other functions seem to work OK but cant get the screen to go back on.

Have been backing up all my files this morning and the PC worked fine all morning until I wanted to go online. Luckly the Burner still worked when the lights went off.

the PC is an ADVENT T1 media PC from Computer world. 250 GB and Pentium 4. Windows XP home is installed.

Am writing this on my company laptop which can access internet.
Will continue to back up and then try and get teh info you need.

any help?
Gill

Have you tried the repair I mentioned in my previous post?

Your system may still be infected.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Once you have done that, go HERE for instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log as an attatchment.

Obviously since you can`t go online without your system crashing, I suggest you download the programmes in RBS`s post on your company laptop. Then install them as instructed.

Can you access the net in safemode with networking?

No repairs attempted yet as backing up files.

now its switched itself off once its doing it regularly....will have a go at the reinstall although XP was on the PC when bought so no CD..
Dont understand all the jargon in your note but will take a closer look when back up completed.

Not panicing yet!

power schemes

carkti said:
Hello,

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition and have lost all ability to change my power options / power schemes. When I go to control panel - Power Options Properties the drop down box under Power Schemes just shows 'blank' as well as the I cannot access any settings under the next heading 'Unknown' ie When computer is: Plugged in ... Running on Batteries.

Any ideas on how I could reinstall this or fix the problem would be greatly appreciaiated.

I have a lab top, so I didn't get a cd with it.

Please help. Marilyn

help me reinstall my power schemes

marilyn said:
Hello,

Any ideas on how I could reinstall this or fix the problem would be greatly appreciated! i have a lap top. please help.

marilyn

Hope you can help me.

Got the Power Options Restored

I was able to do it the following way:
You can use the Powercfg.exe utility to copy the power scheme from the Default Userprofile to the user who is currently logged on. You can do this because power schemes are uniquely associated with individual user accounts. To copy the power scheme from the default user by using the Powercfg.exe utility, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
powercfg /RestoreDefaultPolicies

Power settings

Frist off thanks for the help with the command prompt. It got the power options reset. But they dont stay. They revert back to the standard settings when I restart the notebook or unplug it and plug it back in. What else can I do to fix this thing.
Thanks in Advance.

Before you make new Power settings, click on Delete at the top to remove current settings. Once you finish making the changes, click on Save As and choose the appropriate category. That will allow the new settings and it will retain them.

Thanks

I was able to do it the following way:
You can use the Powercfg.exe utility to copy the power scheme from the Default Userprofile to the user who is currently logged on. You can do this because power schemes are uniquely associated with individual user accounts. To copy the power scheme from the default user by using the Powercfg.exe utility, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
powercfg /RestoreDefaultPolicies

Thanks for the tip! I couldn't get any of my new power configurations to stick (they kept disappearing after I closed the window). And this totally fixed the problem. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back