Unable to Format C Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shad

ok, were having some virus problems on a machine we have here at our work, so we have decided to format the C drive, now i usually use an old fashioned floppy boot disk and just use the dos commant format c: . But it is saying unable to perform operstion on selected device (or something similar)

Why is this doing it, machine is on XP and i do it at home all the time, is there other ways ?? please help people

formatting can be done with a second hard drive but if you wish to format and re-install windows xp it is usual to change the boot order wich is done on bootup by hitting f8 and place your preferred drive in first place.if i remember right, but after saying that i have only ever use a xp cd not a floppy.

but will that give me the option to wipe the HD, i know about the boot devices, its set for floppy, CD then HD, only have 1 HDD in it and needs wiped totally

yes it should give that option, and yes it wipes everything off and will need fresh windows install

if you use floppy put floppy first if you are using a cd put cd first

Will try using CD Rom, never done it using the CD before, usually used floppys, just like formatting the old 98 machines, anyway, ill let you know how it goes on / Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back