TechSpot

Unable to format drive while in Windows XP

By Starfire
Oct 1, 2006
  1. Now before anyone says the obvious, the drive I am trying to format IS NOT the drive XP is installed on. I am trying to format my secondary removable hard drive that I use solely for storage. I go into Windows Explorer and right-click on the D: drive (my storage drive that I wish to format), select "Format" from the right-click menu the format box pops up and I select OK. It gives me the obilgatory warning about erasing ALL files on the disk and I click ok. Then I get a popup box telling me it cannot format because the drive is still in use.

There are no files left on the drive so I don't know what could possible be in use. I know a format can be done like this because I just finished formatting another drive in exactly the same manner. How can I find out what is running on that drive and shut it down so I can format it.

2. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

are you sure you've disabled autorun on the HDD?

try a program from the manufacturer of your HDD to see if it'll do it..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.