Unable to get external monitor to work with IBM ThinkPad G40

By earlyjane
Sep 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I attached an additional monitor to my IBM ThinkPad g40 laptop using the external monitor port. The first time it worked fine. After disconnecting the additional monitor, subsequent attempts to connect resulted in the monitor "shorting out." If I forcefully push the cable connector into the port, it works, but if I release the "extreme" pressure, the monitor goes blank, or the screen has a yellow or green "film" over it. The monitor works on my desktop computer with no problem. The pins in the cable are not bent. Could the external monitor port be faulty? Can it be replaced? Thanks for any help.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,454   +135

Yes the laptops external monitor port may be damaged. The external VGA port is part of the motherboard. Excessive pressure might have broken some solder joints attaching the video connector to the motherboard. These connections may be able to be repaired. Finding a tech to do this may be a task
  3. earlyjane

earlyjane Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.